Annual Giving and Engagement Officer
Hofstra University is a nationally ranked and recognized private university in Hempstead, N.Y. that is the only school to ever host three consecutive presidential debates (2008, 2012 and 2016). At Hofstra, students get the best of both worlds. Our campus is a leafy oasis just a quick train ride away from New York City and all its cultural, recreational and professional opportunities. We offer small classes and personal attention, with the resources, technology and facilities of a large university. Students can choose from more than 160 undergraduate program options and 165 graduate program options in the liberal arts and sciences, education, health professions and human services, the Peter S. Kalikow School of Government, Public Policy and International Affairs, the Fred DeMatteis School of Engineering and Applied Science, the Frank G. Zarb School of Business, the Lawrence Herbert School of Communication, the Maurice A. Deane School of Law, the Hofstra Northwell School of Graduate Nursing and Physician Assistant Studies, and the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Hofstra University is a dynamic community of more than 11,000 students from around the world who are dedicated to civic engagement, academic excellence and becoming leaders in their communities and their careers.
The Annual Giving and Engagement Officer will report to the Director of Annual Giving and work in conjunction with the Director for Alumni Affairs to support the University’s Annual Giving and Alumni Affairs program. He/She will be responsible for leading the student phonathon program (Call with Pride), student philanthropy campaign (Senior Class gift), and assist with the young alumni program (GOLD), annual Honor Roll of Donors, and Day of Giving. In addition, this role will design monthly e-newsletters; coordinate social media efforts and contribute to the publication of the website. The Assistant Director is also expected to develop and manage a portfolio of prospects in order to meet personal fundraising goals.
Specific Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Oversee the general operations of the entire phone program, including managing student callers, student supervisors, establishing calling schedules, and managing computer database files.
• Interviews, hires, trains, and manages all student callers and supervisors. Ensures proper attendance and success of callers by monitoring caller stats, providing monthly evaluations to callers, coaching them towards improvement, and implementing an incentive plan to motivate callers.
• Works with Development staff to maintain accurate and efficient pledge processes and the mailing of pledge reminders.
• Actively measure ongoing phonathon results against departmental objectives, and implement strategies to improve overall efficiency and performance the program
• In conjunction with Alumni Affairs staff, assist in managing the Graduates of the Last Decade committee and program to engage young alumni in giving back to Hofstra.
• Manage student philanthropy campaigns and Senior Class Gift to educate students about the importance of giving back to Hofstra. Includes recruiting, managing and motivating student volunteers, developing marketing and solicitation materials.
• Design monthly e-newsletter
• Maintain and update donor records in database
• In conjunction with other members of the Development staff, prepare the annual Honor Roll of Donors
• Attend events and meetings, as needed
• Generate funds from among an assigned prospect portfolio – visit and dollars raised are evaluated annually against a pre-set goal
Additional Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Assist with creation and tracking of direct mail efforts
• Prepare queries/reports and mail merges for pledge reminders, renewals, annual giving and membership solicitation and informational mailings
• Run reports, queries and monitor activity as requested
• Monitor all incoming gifts to assure proper routing, coding and processing of all donations
• Ensure response to information inquiries from annual mailings including planned giving, major gift opportunities and other special requests as needed in a timely basis
• Respond to other projects as needed
Bachelor's Degree required. 2-3 years experience in fundraising/development, non-profit management or other charitable giving programs. The Annual Giving and Engagement Officer will be a proactive self-starter who is comfortable in a fast-paced collaborative environment. Excellent verbal and written communication and organizational skills required and the ability to work independently and in a team environment is expected. Above average computer knowledge and experience with ability to learn and utilize new software efficiently. An excellent command of the Windows environment including proficiency in the entire Microsoft Office Suite, as well as database experience. Understanding of social media platforms. Phonathon experience a plus. Experience managing students or volunteers preferred
For consideration, please send résumé, cover letter, salary requirement to:
Director for Annual Giving
101 Hofstra University
Hempstead, New York 11549
Hofstra University is an equal opportunity employer, committed to fostering diversity in its faculty administrative staff and student body, and encourages applications from the entire spectrum of a diverse community.
Share this job with your network:
Diversity Profile: University
AAUP COMPENSATION SURVEY DATAView more
Apply for Annual Giving and Engagement Officer
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly