Co-Director of Patron Services - Krannert Center (122057)
Co-Director of Patron Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
The Krannert Center for the Performing Arts at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is seeking candidates for the position of Co-Director of Patron Services. With the other Co-Director for Patron Services, this position is responsible for co-leading the patron services area (front of house, showcase/gift shop, client services, food services) in order to provide outstanding service and experiences to Krannert Center constituents. In addition, this position is responsible for management/oversight of front of house operations and Krannert Center’s showcase/gift shop and for coordination of service areas such as accessibility and tours.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Front of House
- Act as public relations representative of the Center while working with the public at performances and during other events. Work according to a standard of outstanding customer service. Effectively manage customer needs and issues.
- Manage front of house staff and resources necessary to ensure excellence in service, safety, and comfort for all individuals who attend performances and events at the Center (approximately 400 events annually).
- Manage budget lines assigned to this position, including personnel budget.
- Recruit, hire, train, mentor, and supervise graduate and undergraduate students and jointly supervise a Civil Service employee to serve as house managers, hosts, and office assistants.
- Responsible for all time sheets, payroll, and paperwork regarding these employees.
- Manage and mentor staff of student and community volunteer ushers.
- Work a significant number of Krannert Center performances. Work hours span both evening and daytime hours, weekday and weekend.
- Coordinate accessibility services of the Center.
- Coordinate front-of-house emergency procedures and training; arrange for medical personnel at selected events.
- Works with Krannert Center security team to pursue and implement security best practices.
- Responsible for all tours of the Center, including training of tour guides, coordinating tour schedules, and conducting special tours.
- Collaborates with Ticket Services Director in areas of mutual concern.
- Maintains and troubleshoots electronic access management (ticket scanner) system.
Promenade Showcase + Gift Shop
- Provide management support to operations at Promenade Showcase + Gift Shop, including regular analysis of financial and operational data.
- Work with Promenade supervisor to report to the Center’s senior leadership on financial and operational metrics, goals, and results.
- Responsible for Promenade payroll-related paperwork.
- Work with Patron Services colleagues to strive for maximum effective use of electronic point-of-sale system.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Is primary point of contact in all front-of-house communications to patrons, students, faculty, sponsors, and donors. Acts as public relations representative of the Center while working with patrons. Effectively hears and manages customer needs.
- Maintains relationships with campus and community partners.
- Consistently participates as a member of the marketing team, analyzing past marketing and patron services efforts and planning future work. With the marketing team and individually, brainstorms marketing and service initiatives, shapes them into plans, implements, and evaluates them. Participates in collaborative brainstorming, planning, implementation, and evaluation of various engagement, communication, and patron service initiatives and events.
- Collects customer feedback and regularly audits operations to identify and prioritize opportunities for improvement.
- Participates in the development and collaborative implementation of cross-functional customer service standards, policies, and training, including an established set of service standards to which Krannert Center service areas aspire.
- Collaboratively increase overall efficiency and collaboration across the Patron Services area by taking advantage of shared responsibilities, staff, procedures, and goals.
- Regularly provides comprehensive, accurate reports and detailed analyses of patron attendance data, serving as an information source regarding attendance and patron needs.
Other Collaborative, Administrative, and Committee work
- Participate in various committees and initiatives on a volunteer and assigned basis, at Krannert Center, in the College of Fine and Applied Arts, and/or at the campus level. Includes work with safety and security committees.
- Serve as an advisor to the Krannert Center Student Association and attend regular meetings of its administrative board.
- Leads and collaborates on a variety of projects that are integral to Krannert Center’s work.
- May perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Three years’ experience managing operations in a customer focused environment.
- Experience involving administrative duties and/or working with the public.
- Experience in customer service management, arts/theatre management, and/or event management. Experience in managing and mentoring staff, students (volunteer and paid), and non-student volunteers.
- Experience with MS Office suite.
- Experience in business, retail, and/or food services.
Successful candidate will also have:
- Possess and be able to put into action a passion for connecting people with arts experiences.
- Have excellent public relations, customer service, interpersonal, teamwork, communication, planning, organizational, and time management skills.
- Be professional, flexible, and respectful in all work with colleagues and patrons.
- Use good independent judgment and be able to resolve problems as they arise, managing time pressures and changing or conflicting priorities.
- Have knowledge of management principles, practices, methods, and techniques.
- Possess supervisory, administrative, and decision making ability.
- Have the ability to work effectively with colleagues and the public.
- Possess knowledge, experience, and/or skills in an artistic discipline or setting.
- Have an understanding of project management, including the ability to understand objectives, identify stakeholders and their interests, and plan steps in order to accomplish goals and objectives in a resourceful and timely manner.
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION:
This is a full-time Civil Service Program Coordinator position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after October 11, 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by October 11, 2019. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1: Submit the Staff Vacancy Application.
Step 2: Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms.
Step 3: Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable), and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Cynthia Howard at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Fine and Applied Arts Category:2-Administrative Title:Co-Director of Patron Services - Krannert Center (122057) Open Date:09/19/2019 Close Date:10/11/2019 Organization Name:KCPA-Admin-St