Career Services Coordinator - College of Media - Student Services Center (122060)
The Career Services Coordinator will assist undergraduate students in the College of Media with all aspects of career development as well as the internship and job search process. The Coordinator will collaborate extensively with alumni and industry professionals and be an overall resource for current and prospective College of Media students.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise students regarding career exploration and post-graduation options.
- Assist students with developing skills necessary to the job and internship search process including but not limited to resume development, networking, internship skills, and offer negotiation.
- Work closely with designated departmental faculty to create and maintain career development opportunities for Media students.
- Provide feedback on resumes and cover letters for students in the College of Media.
- Develop programming and workshops in conjunction with departmental faculty liaisons to guide students through the internship and job search processes.
- Create and update online and print resources to assist job seekers with their job search process.
- Develop and maintain close, effective, collaborative relationships with all constituencies within and outside the campus community. This includes faculty, staff, alumni and industry professionals.
- Create outreach events to connect students with Media Career Services and faculty.
- Work with and assist College of Media staff and departmental faculty liaisons in developing, planning coordinating and implementing college-wide and department-specific career events and initiatives.
- Compile statistics, administer surveys, write reports and provide data to the College of Media and other audiences as necessary.
- Perform other related duties as required
- Actively develop and maintain relationships with faculty, alumni and industry stakeholders to assist in advancing career education initiatives.
- Organize and plan events to connect current students with College of Media alumni.
- Assist with generating employment leads through ongoing and new relationship with employers.
- Consult potential employers to identify professional career options and experiential education opportunities.
- Meet with prospective College of Media students and families to discuss academic and career opportunities within the college.
Required: Master’s degree in student affairs, higher education, counseling, human resources or related field. One to three years of work experience. Demonstrated experience in effective collaboration and communication with students, faculty, staff, and external constituents.
Preferred: Relevant work experience in communications or media related field or experience in advising/counseling related to career development or corporate recruitment. An understanding of the needs and concerns of college students and a passion for working with them. Significant intercultural skills and experience with diverse populations. Ability to handle multiple work priorities. Creative problem-solving skills.
To ensure full consideration, complete applications must be submitted by October 7, 2019. The committee may begin reviewing applications before the close date but no decision will be made until after the close date. Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload a cover letter describing your qualifications for the position, current resume and the names and contact information for three references. For further information regarding application procedures, you may contact Cassie Kenton at (217) 300 3667 or [email protected].
This is a full-time, 12-month academic professional appointment with a start date as soon as possible after the closing date. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
College Name or Administrative Unit:College of Media Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Career Services Coordinator - College of Media - Student Services Center (122060) Open Date:09/18/2019 Organization Name:College of Media Admin