Postdoctoral Research Scholar
Posting DetailsPosting Information Vacancy TypePost DocIs Internal Transfer OnlyNoTime-Limited Appointment LengthNoIf Yes, Appointment Lengthfunding available for two yearsWorking TitlePostdoctoral Research ScholarAnticipated Hiring RangeCommensurate with experience ($47,000-49,000)Position Number00107235Work ScheduleMonday-Friday, 8:00 am-5:00 pm (additional hours as needed)Full Time Equivalent (FTE)1.0Department118401 - BiochemistryDepartment 118401 - BiochemistryJob City & StateRaleigh, NCEssential Job Duties
To better understand the dynamic metabolic interactions between nutritional status, drugs that target metabolism, and etiology of disease, the laboratory of Dr. Xiaojing Liu is dedicated to the development and application of new metabolomics methods in biomedical research through this Postdoctoral Research Scholar position. The postdoc will meet frequently with Dr. Liu to discuss best practices in grant writing, manuscript preparation, and mentoring.
The Postdoctoral Researcher will be expected to:
1. Conduct an independent and collaborative research program in the Department of Molecular and Structural Biochemistry investigating the regulatory mechanisms of antioxidants and the relationship between aldehyde toxins and tumorigenesis at the molecular level. Use of modem techniques in molecular/cell biology (gene-editing, cloning), mammalian cell culture and transfection, and in vitro protein analysis (western blot, immunofluorescence) will be required;
2. Publish papers in peer reviewed scientific journals reporting the results of your research;
3. Participate in scientific meetings, seminar series and other appropriate professional activities;
4. Provide guidance to undergraduate and graduate students in the laboratory;
5. Submit proposals to funding agencies as opportunities are available for postdoctoral training fellowships.
Funding is currently available for two years.Other Work/ResponsibilitiesMinimum Experience/Education
Ph.D. or equivalent doctorate (e.g., M.D., D.V.M., Sc.D.) in appropriate field awarded no more than five (5) years from initial date of postdoctoral appointment.Departmental Required Skills
PhD in the areas of Metabolomics and Metabolic Biochemistry or closely related field.
Must be able to communicate clearly with staff and students in both verbal and written communications.
Must be able to lead a project as well as contribute to collaborative research.Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education
Strong track records of accomplishment in a biochemistry-related discipline is preferred. Prior mass spectrometry experience is not required, while enthusiasm for science and independence are desired.Required License or Certification
Please attach the following documents to your application:
1) Cover letter
3) Contact information for professional references
Positions will be posted until 5:00 PM ET on this date. Positions remaining posted after this date are still accepting applications but may close at any time.09/30/2019Is this position partially or fully funded on ARRA stimulus monies?NoProposed Hire Date10/01/2019AA/EOE
NC State University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.
If you have general questions about the application process, you may contact Human Resources at (919) 515-2135 or [email protected] Individuals with disabilities requiring disability-related accommodations in the application and interview process, please call 919-515-3148.
Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. Degree(s) must be obtained prior to start date in order to meet qualifications and receive credit.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn of this opportunity?
- NCSU Website
- NCSU Executive Search Services
- Other Online Job Board
- Carolina Job Finder / Employment Guide
- Job / Career Fair
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Professional Journal
- Print Advertisement (Newspaper / Periodical)
- Professional Organization
- Direct Contact from NCSU HR Representative / Recruiter
- NCSU Employee Referral
- Social Media (LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook, Other)
- If you learned about this vacancy from "other source" or "other website", please provide the source.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have (or will have by date of hire) a PhD in the areas of Metabolomics and Metabolic Biochemistry or closely related field?
- Contact Information for References
- Cover Letter