Description*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.* Universityof Colorado l Anschutz Medical CampusSchoolof Medicine, Department of PathologyHistotechnologist(Health Care Intermediate Professional)Position#767586 – Requisition 17258 The University ofColorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstratedcommitment to creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value the ability to engage effectivelywith students, faculty and staff of diverse backgrounds. TheDepartment of Pathology has anopening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) Histotechnologist(Health Care Intermediate Professional) position. TheUniversity of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutionsnationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus,designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts theCollege of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, andPublic Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and twohospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciencesresearch park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutzoffers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and fivefirst-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside facultymembers who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expertclinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for researchand innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards eachyear and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since2002. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
Nature of Work:TheHistotechnologist position is responsible for processing whole mount prostate,prostate mapping biopsies and other types of specimens received in theHistology Subspecialty Laboratory according to standard protocol under minimalsupervision. Specific duties to include but not limited to: histologicalprocessing of surgical pathology specimens in preparation for Pathologistreview and diagnosis; receiving all histology specimens and processing themusing various methodologies involving complex machinery and staining systems;preparing the slides for Pathologist review by cutting prepared blocks oftissue utilizing complex machinery; and staining slides whether with routine orimmunohistochemical stains. This position will also label, enter and track theprogress of the specimen until it reaches the Pathologist for diagnosis. Thisis extremely important in overall patient care as inappropriate processing,lost specimens or incorrectly labeled specimens can result in incorrect orunavailable diagnoses. This can causerepeat procedures or life threatening treatment choices. The Histotechnologistwill participate in the management of the histology area by maintaining aninventory of supplies, cleaning and organizing of work stations, disposal ofbiological waste, and adherence to all compliance and operational procedures.This position requires independent judgment in selection of methodologies,utilized in processing tissue specimens and in solving routine problems. TheHistotechnologist must be familiar with all laboratory policies and procedures.This position requires excellent interpersonal skills, where customer serviceand responsibility to patient care are the priorities. Additionalduties include documentation per CAP guidelines, communication withpathologists/residents, and troubleshooting equipment malfunctions. This is nota supervisory position. However, this position will demonstratecommunication of all problems and concerns to the Supervisor and/or pertinentsuperiors. If there are no superiors present at the time, the employeeshall handle the situation, and immediately inform the Histology Supervisor ofcorrective actions taken.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Performsprocedures in grossing large and biopsy specimens, tissue processing/embedding,sectioning, routine H&E stains, immunohistochemistry and specialstains/in-situ hybridization as needed.
- Utilizesappropriate equipment with precision for routine and whole mount histologicalprotocols.
- Performscomplex staining techniques and demonstrates competency withimmunohistochemical procedures to possibly include in situ hybridizationreactions.
- Performscomputer data entry, recall, and labeling on complex pathology network (LIS).
- Performsroutine preventative maintenance, cleaning, and minor adjustments on all labequipment.
- Preparesand examines solutions for contamination, impurities, or instability.
- Familiaritywith all lab procedures, such as the use of pH meter, balancing, centrifuges,microwaves, fume hood, etc.
- Followspecimen submission requirements.
- Examinesmicroscopically all stained slides and controls to determine accuracy of thelast test and document all protocol modifications according to regulations.
- Performsall procedures in a timely manner.
- Maintainsand retrieves archived Histological slides and blocks.
- Collaborateswith the UCD Biorepository Core Facility to fulfill requirements of ongoingresearch studies.
- Answerslaboratory phone properly and takes information down correctly.
- Assistsin the ordering of laboratory supplies to maintain proper inventory.
- Assistsin maintaining accreditation standards, to include all check sheets and qualitycontrol information sheets.
- Understandsand uses proper safety practices.
- Completesall UCD required training and compliance courses.
- Completescontinuing education courses to maintain ASCP certification and institutionalrequirements.
- Performsother duties as assigned.
Your total compensation goes beyond thenumber on your paycheck. The University of Colorado provides generous leave,health plans and retirement contributions that add to your bottom line. Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.TotalCompensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Job Category: Health Care
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Oct 24, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing