Associate Dean of Student Learning
In 2018, the University of North Florida (UNF) received the prestigious INSIGHT Into Diversity magazine Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) Award, the only application-based national award for U.S. colleges and universities that exhibit an outstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion across their campuses. In addition, UNF ranked highest among the 80 HEED institutions and was also recognized as a 2018 Diversity Champion.
The University of North Florida (UNF) is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In building this environment, we strive to attract students, faculty and staff from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences. The University of North Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not commit or permit discrimination or harassment on the basis of genetic information, race, color, religion, age, sex, disability, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, or veteran status in any educational, employment, social, recreational program or activity that it offers. In addition, UNF will not commit or permit retaliation against an individual who complains of discrimination or harassment or an individual who cooperates in an investigation of an alleged violation of University Regulation.Carnegie
UNF is a Carnegie Community Engaged Institution. This designation celebrates the University’s collaboration with community partners from the local to the global level. It reflects UNF’s mission to contribute to the public good and prepare educated, engaged citizens.Faculty Initiatives
The University of North Florida promotes the quality and effectiveness of education and strives to maintain the highest standards of academic excellence in all phases of instruction, research/scholarship/creative activity, and service.General Description / Primary Purpose
The Associate Dean for Student Learning in the College of Arts and Sciences will assist the Dean and work with faculty and staff across the College and the University to improve student learning at UNF.Essential Duties Job Function
(1) coordinating efforts to improve student learning,
(2) coordinating efforts to improve student success,
(3) supervising General Education review efforts,
(4) assisting the Dean and working with the scheduling coordinator and chairs on enrollment management issues
(5) working to advance international initiatives,
(6) coordinating efforts to improve the diversity of the students,
(7) facilitating Academic Program Reviews and accreditation matters,
(8) supporting interdisciplinary programs,
(9) assisting departments with development of new academic programs,
(10) coordinating responses to student concerns,
(11) participating in development activities in support of student learning,
(12) supervising the awarding of college-level awards to students, and
(13) other duties as assigned.
The College of Arts and Sciences at the University of North Florida seeks a tenured faculty member to be the Associate Dean of Student Learning
Minimum Qualifications: Tenure in one of the departments in UNF’s College of Arts and Sciences.Departmental Requirements
- Demonstrated efforts in and commitment to improving student learning and success;
- Successful curriculum or program development;
- Working knowledge and understanding of General Education at UNF, including program review and assessment;
- Successful leadership of academic program reviews and/or accreditation reviews;
- Success in academic administration, including the ability to work effectively with faculty and staff across UNF;
- Experience with course scheduling, enrollment management, interdisciplinary programs, and international programs;
- A disciplinary background that contributes to the diversity of disciplines represented in the Dean’s Office.
- A track record of fairly evaluating faculty in the context of hiring, periodic reviews, and promotion and tenure;
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion of students, faculty, and staff;
- Participation in development activities to bring in external resources; and
- Holding the rank of full professor
In all its hiring, including this one, the College seeks to advance diversity in all its many forms.
Background Check: This position requires a background check. In conjunction with the University’s policy, this position may also require a credit check.
Responsible Employee: The holder of this position is designated as a “Responsible Employee” pursuant to their role under Title IX. Therefore, the incumbent must promptly report allegations of sexual misconduct, sexual violence, and child sexual abuse by or against any student, employee, contractor, or visitor to the University’s Title IX Administrator or any divisional Title IX Coordinator.Required Licensure or CertificationMachines/Equipment used regularlyAnticipated Start Date01/06/2020Job Posting Date09/18/2019Application Review Date10/14/2019Application DeadlineOpen Until FilledYesPoint of Contact InformationAlicia Erchul 904-620-1699Hiring OfficialGeorge RainboltLocation if not JacksonvilleSpecial Instructions
INTERNAL SEARCH ONLY
This internal recruitment is open to current UNF employees only.
Applicants must complete an online application at www.unfjobs.org, as well as upload supplemental documents in order to be considered for this position. Applicants who do not apply online and/or upload all the required documents will not be considered for this position. Once you submit both your completed application and uploaded documents you will receive a confirmation number. Keep the confirmation number for your records.
Applicants should electronically submit:
(a)Cover letter/ Letter of Interest: a cover letter that speaks to the preferred qualifications outlined above and provides evidence of excellence in teaching, excellence in research/creative activities, and steps taken by the applicant to improve their own teaching and research/creative activities;
(b)Curriculum Vitae: a current CV;
( c )Sample Course Syllabus: the syllabi from the four most recently taught courses (combine into one PDF document)
(d)Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness: the ISQ scores and comments for all courses taught over the last two years (*Note: If any of the four most recently taught courses are outside this two-year window, applicants should also include the scores and comments from those courses);
(e)Portfolio: the last three years’ annual evaluations; and
(f)Statement of Teaching/Advising – a statement of no more than four pages that outlines a plan for advancing student learning and success in the College of Arts and Sciences.
The search committee is being chaired by Dr. Susan Perez, [email protected] Review of applications will begin on October 14, 2019. Finalists will be asked to make a presentation at an open forum. Forums will be scheduled in mid to late October. The search committee will make its recommendations to the Dean shortly thereafter for consideration. The successful applicant will take up the position on January 6, 2019.
TO APPLY: Applicants must complete an application on-line in OASys at http://www.unfjobs.org and must upload all required documents to be considered for this position.
If you have any questions, please contact Alicia Erchul, [email protected]Quicklinkhttp://www.unfjobs.org/postings/11926Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This internal posting is open to UNF employees only. Are you a current UNF employee?
- Cover Letter/Letter of Interest
- Curriculum Vitae
- Sample Course Syllabus
- Evidence of Teaching Effectiveness
- Statement of Teaching/Advising Philosophy