Unix Systems Engineer
Who We AreThe Office of Information Technology (OIT) is a dynamic organization, filled with energetic staff and students who aim to serve the campus and contribute to student success while supporting the University’s academic, research and service missions. We’re located in the heart of the beautiful CU Boulder campus. See what OIT is all about by watching our This is OIT video.
What Your Key Responsibilities Will BeThe Systems Engineer is responsible for ensuring the availability of critical services by leveraging all layers of the shared application stack by providing:
- Performance management
- Capacity planning
- Change management
- Prompt responses to service disruptions.
Linux/UNIX System Administration
- Ongoing, daily system administration of Linux/UNIX systems including:
- Adding and removing hardware
- Account management
- Performing system diagnostics
- Installation and upgrades of operating systems and software
- Patch maintenance
- Adherence to campus security requirements
- Maintaining documentation
- Providing support to end-users and others in the organization
- Work with containers, specifically Docker, both for flexibility and for separation of applications and Operating Systems
- Determine infrastructure design based upon the service and technical requirements provided by a customer or project team
- Work with internal and external customers to determine specific Operating System design and layout to meet their service requirements
- Determine how to implement system changes based on business, technical, or security policies or requirements
- Compile and install software and tools requested by customers and/or as required for on-going management and system security
- Debug crashed or unresponsive system, determining when to escalate
- Assist in the development of new configuration files to manage new server classes
- Contribute to configuration management solution (currently Chef) including creating cookbooks and policies for services and systems, helping with design decisions
- Streamlining processes and procedures around configuration management
- Contribute to design of testing pipeline
- Upgrades of Chef code and recipes
- Alignment of local cookbooks with those upstream
- Investigate new technologies to support tactical and strategic objectives; building, testing, and evaluating new technologies and making recommendations on their applicability to key organizational and program objectives.
- Identify performance constraints or opportunities resulting from changes to infrastructure, advances in technology, and changes in regulatory expectations.
- Evaluate potential products or techniques to provide insight into new program projects and services, keeping the organization relevant.
- Maintain proficiency and acquire new technical knowledge by reading technical journals, manuals, newsgroups and web sites, attending seminars and conferences, participating in discussions with colleagues, and consulting with vendors and industry peers.
- Identify and elect training opportunities that provide support for common service areas or future technologies as well as identify personal and team opportunities continuous improvement and development in key service and support topics.
This is a two-year appointment and while it could easily be the case that the initial appointment would be extended to a continuing appointment, it is, for the present at two-year position.What We Can OfferBase salary is highly competitive, market based and will be commensurate with documented skills and experience.Benefits
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.Be StatementsBe Resourceful. Be Effective. Be Boulder.What We Require
- A Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field. A combination of education and related experience may be substituted for the degree on a year for year basis.
- 2 years of RedHat Enterprise Linux or other Linux distribution administration in an Enterprise environment, including implementing and maintaining complex web systems based on the LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) stack.
- Experience building and maintaining systems using configuration management tools such as Chef, Ansible, or Puppet.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Advanced skills in Apache administration, configuration, and maintenance.
- Knowledge of, and skills with, web application stack accelerators such as HTTP accelerators like Varnish, PHP cache optimization like APC, and database caching tools like memcached.
- Knowledge of and practical skills with multiple content management systems such as WordPress, Joomla, MediaWiki, SharePoint, Confluence, etc.
- Experience with at least one development language such as Java, Python, Ruby, Powershell, etc.
- Experience with bug/ticket tracking system like Jira.
- Knowledge of and practical skills with MySQL, Vault (secrets management), VMWare virtualization, SFDC.
- ITIL Certification.
- A current resume.
- A cover letter that specifically addresses how your background and experience align with the requirements, qualifications and responsibilities of the position.
You will not be asked to upload references at this time.
Please apply by October 6, 2019 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.Posting Contact Name: Boulder Campus Human ResourcesPosting Contact Email: [email protected]The University of Colorado Boulder is committed to building a culturally diverse community of faculty, staff, and students dedicated to contributing to an inclusive campus environment. We are an Equal Opportunity employer, including veterans and individuals with disabilities.