Culinary Worker / Retail
Culinary Worker / Retail
About Westfield State University:
In 1839, Horace Mann founded Westfield State University as the first public higher education institution without barrier to race, gender or economic class. Westfield State University is committed to a policy of non-discrimination, equal opportunity, diversity and affirmative action. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people including minorities, women, veterans, individuals with disabilities and other protected persons, or individuals with diverse cultural backgrounds.
Westfield State is the most residential of the state universities in Massachusetts, with over 60% of our 5600 full-time undergraduate students living on campus. The campus is ideally situated on the edge of the Berkshire Mountains in western Massachusetts just 30 minutes from the thriving cultural centers of Northampton and Amherst, and 1.5 hours from both Boston and Albany.
Campus Title: Culinary Worker (Retail Locations)
State Job Title: Culinary Worker
Department: Dining Services
Job Code: H08X04
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Funding: 7115-6014 (State-Funds)
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Job Type: Full Time
Timeframe: 35 Weeks
Shift: Sunday - Thursday 2:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Regular Days Off: Friday and Saturday
Supervision Received: The Culinary Worker (Retail Locations) receives direct supervision from a Retail Dining Supervisor, and may also receive direction from the Assistant Retail Manager.
Supervision Exercised: May supervise student employees.
Salary: $1,286.69 By-Weekly
General Statement of Duties: Performs routine manual and domestic job duties in a food service operation, including cooking, cleaning, and serving food. The basic purpose of this work is to perform cooking tasks and assist with cleaning and food serving work as needed. Performs related work as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Duties include but not limited to:
- Cooks food in large quantities by following recipes and standard operating procedures. May be required to perform display cooking as assigned.
- Reads computer generated recipes and menus for the preparation of simple meals.
- Cleans cooking equipment, work areas, food areas, counters, floors, food carts, trays, furniture, utensils, dishes, pots and pans by scraping, hand washing and machine washing.
- Peels, chops, washes and cooks foods for simple dishes.
- Transports food to and from storage areas, loads food carts, transports food to serving areas and serves food to diners.
- Assists other food services staff with the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Roasts, fries, boils, broils and seasons meats, fish, poultry, vegetables and other foods required for daily meals.
- Measures and mixes ingredients according to recipes.
- Uses kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare soups, salads, desserts, dressings, gravies, sauces, and stews.
- Operates cutlery, grinders and slicers to prepare and portion food for cooking.
- Evaluates food for quality, quantity, appearance, temperature and taste by tasting and observing to determine proper freshness, preparation and portioning.
- Stores foods in sanitary storage areas and at proper temperature to prevent spoilage.
- Communicates with the Retail Dining Supervisor to report food and menu problems.
- Makes coffee.
- Separates and removes trash and garbage, and places them in designated containers.
Qualifications Required at Hire:
- Ability to cook a variety of simple meals and to assist in the preparation of more complex dishes.
- Ability to perform display cooking.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the handling and serving of food.
- Knowledge of approved sanitary methods and procedures for the care and use of kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability to use kitchen, dining room and food service equipment.
- Ability and stamina to perform manual tasks including: standing for long periods of time, lifting and carrying heavy objects, and working under conditions of seasonal high and low temperatures.
- Ability to follow simple oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide training, work assignments and functional supervision to student employees.
- Ability to give oral and/or written instructions in precise and understandable manner.
- Ability to establish rapport, maintain harmonious working relationships and deal effectively with customers and agency personnel from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds
- Willingness to work varied shifts and irregular hours including weekends, holidays and nights.
- Willingness to work under exposure to the hazards of wet and slippery floors, seasonal high and low temperatures and sharp surfaces.
- Ability to read and understand recipes.
- Willingness to communicate with customers while performing display cooking.
Qualifications Acquired on Job:
- Knowledge of departmental, university, and state rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and guidelines relating to area of assignment and ability to apply them to unit activities.
- Knowledge of the operation of specialized equipment associated with assigned work.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
Two (2) years cooking experience in the hospitality trade.
License and/or Certification Requirements:
Incumbents must be certified as food handlers within 90 days of the appointment start date through a recognized program approved by the University (i.e. ServSafe).
For the majority of new employees, the minimum starting salary will apply. Specific salary for current Westfield State University employees and individuals currently working for the state of Massachusetts must be calculated individually in accordance with collective bargaining and state policies and procedures.
State job specifications for this position may be found at the department of higher education website: http://www.mass.edu/foremployees/classificationspecs/classspecs-pers.asp
Westfield State University understands that persons with disabilities may need assistance with the job application process and/or with the interview process. For confidential assistance regarding disability accommodations, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (413) 572-8106.
Employment at Westfield State University is contingent upon a background check that is satisfactory to the University. Failure to provide written authorization for a background check will nullify the offer of employment.
An online application is required. A resume and cover letter may be attached but this is not required.
Deadline: Review of applications will begin September 27, 2019. The job posting will be open a minimum of ten days and, if needed, will remain open until finalist have been selected.
NOTE: If you need assistance completing your application please contact our online Help Desk. The link to the help desk can be found at the top of the page via Contact Us.
Westfield State University provides equal access to employment opportunities for all applicants, regardless of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, marital status, age, disability or veteran status in compliance with all applicable laws, regulations and policies.
To apply, visit https://westfield.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=115958
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency