Assistant Director, Annual Giving
Job location: Worcester
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-18
JOB TITLEAssistant Director, Annual GivingLOCATIONWorcesterDEPARTMENT NAMEAnnual GivingDIVISION NAMEWorcester Polytechnic Institute - WPIJOB DESCRIPTION SUMMARYAs a member of the Annual Giving team, the Assistant Director collaborates on the development and implementation of fundraising strategies that sustain and grow the base of annual philanthropic support for the university, with a focus on increasing alumni participation and engagement. Responsibilities include Giving Day coordination, reunion class fundraising and committee management, young alumni fundraising, and managing a portfolio of annual giving prospects.JOB DESCRIPTION
- Giving Day Coordination: Serve as the project lead for Giving Day, WPI’s largest single day of philanthropy annually. Collaborate with staff throughout University Advancement on the development and implementation of a comprehensive strategy including web site development, marketing, an on-campus presence, and engagement of alumni volunteers and challenge donors.
- Culture of Philanthropy: Collaborate with staff in Advancement and campus partners to implement activities designed to build a culture of philanthropy at WPI. Manage #wpiloves Day, our annual donor appreciation event, or comparable giving and philanthropy education programs.
- Reunion class fundraising and committee management: Manage committees for select reunion classes including recruiting and training volunteers, committee communications and meetings, and personal solicitation of committee volunteers. Coordinate and support the committees’ fundraising efforts, establish fundraising goals, and monitor and report on progress. In partnership with colleagues in the Office of Lifetime Engagement, support the committees in the planning and marketing of their reunion events.
- Young Alumni fundraising: Develop and implement a plan to increase young alumni participation. Recruit, train, and manage a committee of young alumni to advise Annual Giving on fundraising strategies during the campaign.
- Portfolio management: Manage a portfolio of 50-100 annual giving prospects. Qualify, cultivate, solicit, and steward prospects to secure annual gifts and achieve Annual Giving goals. Contact prospects through face-to-face visits, email, and phone to develop and grow prospect engagement and giving.
- Direct solicitation: Personally solicit alumni as part of targeted Annual Giving initiatives aimed at increasing alumni participation, e.g. LYBUNT renewal, recurring gift renewal and upgrades, year-end giving, and securing challenge donors for fundraising challenges.
- Collaborate with team members on strategic and tactical planning for the Annual Giving program. Research and stay up-to-date on trends in the field of higher education advancement, annual giving, and philanthropy; suggest new initiatives and/or improvements to help achieve Annual Giving goals.
- Participate in and staff department events such as Homecoming, Alumni Weekend, and Freshmen Welcome Events. Work collaboratively with other members of the Office of Lifetime Engagement on projects or teams, as assigned.
- Perform additional duties as assigned by the Director of Annual Giving.
- Bachelor’s degree required; experience in an academic or fundraising environment strongly preferred.
- Ability to work well with students, parents, alumni and other constituents; ability to manage a volunteer structure.
- Organized and detail-oriented, ability to manage multiple projects concurrently and prioritize.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to work well as a member of a team and to collaborate effectively.
- Ability to apply good judgement; tact and discretion is required to deal with highly confidential information.
- Some evening and weekend work is required, as well as travel in the New England region.