Requisition InformationPosition Information Posted with Limited AccessNoLimited Access Period Ending DateTitleCookPosting NumberS01352Full-Time/Part-TimeFull-timeTypical Hours Per Week40Regular, Temporary or TermRegularIf temporary or term, enter anticipated end dateBenefits Eligible?YesHourly/SalariedHourlyBand/LevelOP3Hiring Minimum$15.22DepartmentDining ServicesLocationMiddlebury, VT CampusHire contingent upon successful completion of the following post-offer screeningCriminal Background Check Position Summary Position Summary
Responsible for the preparation, cooking, transport, and serving of scheduled menu items according to supervisor’s instructions and food production sheets. Ensures that food is properly and safely prepared, stored, and served while complying with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards, appropriately using supplies and equipment to minimize loss and waste.Responsibilities Essential Functions
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.
- Works cooperatively with others and accepts direction from supervisors.
- Cultivates a positive work environment.
- Reviews production sheets and service menus to prepare appropriate food items according to recipes and in adequate volume.
- Prepares proteins, vegetables, fruits, and all other food items for use in recipes to support the daily meal production. May prepare items for the salad bar area.
- Prepares and cooks items throughout the shift and at individual cook station according to supervisor’s instructions, service menu and production sheets.
- Works with all kitchen personnel to ensure proper quality and quantity of food produced in a timely manner that allows us to open our doors on time. Assists other cooks as needed as well as other kitchen workers and performs other duties as necessary or as instructed.
- Before service, checks food for taste, consistency, and presentation and corrects known issues or alerts a supervisor.
- Sets up service lines with food for meal and varies food production to ensure food is fresh and proper amount is prepared so that shortages or oversupply of food does not occur.
- Cleans, sweeps and mops work areas, including counters, floors, dishes and related equipment as needed during the day and after each shift to maintain an orderly kitchen.
- Ensure the highest standard in sanitary kitchen procedures, food preparation, and food storage.
- Observes proper food storage and handling procedures to ensure a safe and fresh product.
- May be required to lead a shift in the absence of the 1st cook or chef.
- Performs other duties as assigned to assist the department in obtaining and maintaining its mission including the set-up, delivery and execution of catered functions in operation or around the campus. May be required to lead a shift in the absence of the 1st cook or chef.
High school degree or equivalent experience required. Advanced culinary training through a accredited culinary school or vocational program preferred. Must be Serve Safe certified or successfully pass the exam after hire date.Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must have thorough knowledge of quality volume food preparation and production using accurate measurement with standard recipes. Extensive knowledge of a variety of cooking methods and techniques, proper safe food handling practices, and skills.Experience
Minimum of 3 years of food preparation and cooking experience required in restaurants, hotels or other high volume segment.Physical Demands
Must be able to lift 10-20 lbs. numerous times during the day and up to 50 lbs. several times each day. Must be able to push and pull up to 150 lbs. frequently. Requires long periods of time standing, as well as frequent bending and reaching.Posting Information Close DateOpen Until FilledYesSpecial Instructions to Applicants
Offer is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal background check.Recommendations
Some postings require contact information for reference providers for confidential letters of recommendation.Recommendation Letter RequirementsSupplemental Questions for Posting
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Middlebury web site
- Email Job Alert
- Employee Referral
- Newspaper advertisement
- Cover Letter
- Resume/C V
- Reference Letter 1
- Reference Letter 2
- Reference Letter 3