Plumber & Steamfitter I
Plumber & Steamfitter I
Job no: 502412
Work type: Staff Full Time
UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS DARTMOUTH
Plumber and Steamfitter I
Full-Time, Benefited Position
General Summary of Position: Performs general plumbing and steamfitting duties in connection with the maintenance, renovation and repair of gaseous and fluid transmission systems and all attendance fixtures and equipment in University buildings and grounds by following oral and written instructions in the performance of duties. Performs related work as required.
Follows the University’s best practices to build and/or support student academic success and retention, and assist in meeting strategic objectives for persistence and timely graduation of all the student population.
DETAILED STATEMENT OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs physically arduous tasks under adverse conditions and extremes of heat, cold, dampness and humidity, exposure to the harmful effects of noxious gases and fumes, must stand and work for prolonged periods of time, lift and carry heavy objects and work in cramped or confined spaces at various heights such as manholes and on staging and ladders.
- Responds to campus emergency situations such as plumbing, heating, air conditioning and steam failures during regular shift and on weekends, holidays and nights.
- Inspects buildings to detect and locate causes of plumbing and steamfitting failures or breakdowns of equipment, to determine, recommend of execute corrective measures. Responds to complaints from the University community regarding assigned work and emergencies and takes appropriate corrective action following departmental guidelines.
- Performs maintenance, repair, installation and alteration of the following new and existing systems and their components; heating-ventilating, air conditioning, steam, sprinkler, de-ionized water, water conditioning, gas distribution, hot and cold water lines, sinks, toilets, showers and similar fixtures, fittings and their associated parts throughout the university campus.
- Maintains and repairs various types of controls and equipment components associated with heating and cooling systems such as thermostats, coils, cooling towers, air vents, relief valves and similar equipment.
- Performs water treatment and testing as required in a building’s heating and cooling system.
- Reads and interprets blueprints, specifications, operating manuals, control diagrams, schematic drawings, sketches, instructions or layouts in order to implement the required plumbing, steamfitting and associated work.
- Performs related duties such as erecting scaffolding, ladders, laying out drop cloths, fabricating miscellaneous metal products, sharpening, tempering cleaning various tools and equipment.
- Coordinates with other trades such as carpenters, electricians, masons in maintenance, repair and construction.
- Effectively uses and applies the following equipment, tools, supplies and chemicals in performance: power tools such as saws, drills, hammers, roto-rooters, pipe cutters and threaders. Small hand-held tools such as blowtorches, soldering equipment, pressure gauges, taps and die, wrenches, pliers, screwdrivers, hammers, saws, chisels, calipers, levels, rulers, and steel squares. Chemical for the treatment of water in heating and cooling systems. Various types and heights of staging and ladders. All types of piping, fittings, valves, controls, mechanical components and similar materials used in the plumbing and steamfitting trade.
- Employees shall be called and asked to report to work on a rotational as needed basis for emergency coverage on nights, weekends and holidays.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED AT HIRE (List knowledge, skills, abilities)
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand-held tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of small measurement devices such as calipers, levels, rulers, steel squares, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of hand-held power tools such as power saws, power drills and power hammers, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of materials used in plumbing such as steel; malleable, cast and galvanized iron; clay; glass; etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of hand tools used in plumbing such as wrenches, hammers, pliers, taps, dies, etc.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of equipment used in plumbing such as blowtorches, soldering equipment, gauges, etc.
- Knowledge of the safety practices and procedures followed in plumbing.
- Knowledge of the principles, methods and techniques of plumbing and steamfitting.
- Knowledge of sanitation methods, techniques and procedures followed in plumbing.
- Knowledge of the methods and techniques of pipe fitting and pipe threading.
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations governing plumbing.
- Skill in using small hand tools such as hammers, saws, screwdrivers, chisels, drills, etc.
- Skill in using small measurement devices used as calipers, levels, rulers, steel squares, gauges, etc.
- Skill in using hand held power tools such as saws, drills, power hammers, etc.
- Skill in the use of hand tools used in plumbing such as wrenches, hammers, pliers, taps, dies, etc.
- Skill in the use of equipment used in plumbing such as blowtorches, soldering equipment, gauges, etc.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as plans, blueprints, and drawings.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
- Ability to work in cramped or confined spaces.
- Ability to understand and apply the laws, rules and regulations governing plumbing.
- Ability to give oral instructions in a precise, understandable manner.
- Ability to write clearly and concisely.
- Physical stamina and endurance.
QUALIFICATIONS ACQUIRED ON JOB (List knowledge’s, skills, abilities):
- Knowledge of the laws, rules and regulations governing assigned unit activities.
- Knowledge of the policies procedures specifications, standards and guidelines governing assigned unit activities.
- Knowledge of the types and uses of agency forms.
- Thorough knowledge of types, uses, storage and application of materials, tools, equipment and chemicals used in the plumbing trade and their effectiveness in accomplishing the required tasks.
LICENSE AND/OR CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
- Must possess a current and valid Massachusetts Journeyman or Master Plumber’s license issued by the Board of State Examiners of Plumbers and Gas Fitters.
- Must possess a current and valid motor vehicle driver’s license and be eligible to operate a vehicle in the state of Massachusetts.
Department: Housing Maintenance
No. of Positions-1
Weekly Salary: $816.03*
Hours: Monday-Friday, 6:00am-2:00pm
Union: AFT Maintainers
SUPERVISION RECEIVED (Name and title of person from whom incumbent receives direction):
Receives supervision from employees of higher grade, who provide instruction, assign work and review performance through verbal reports, visual inspections, and annual evaluations for compliance with instructions and established.
Must possess manual dexterity, physical stamina and endurance to understand, use and care for plumbing/steamfitter equipment, tools, supplies and chemicals in performing the tasks described in the detailed statement of duties above.
Must possess knowledge and understanding of the State Plumbing Code, standard trade practices, equipment and materials used in the plumbing and steamfitting trade and must perform within those guidelines unassisted and according to current safety regulations.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Applicants must be authorized for employment in the U.S. on a full-time basis. Employment-based visa sponsorship not available.
To apply, please submit a letter of interest, current resume, and the contact information for three professional references.
The deadline for INTERNAL applicants is September 26, 2019
The deadline for EXTERNAL applicants is October 7, 2019
Advertised: 17 Sep 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: 07 Oct 2019 Eastern Daylight Time