Chief Financial and Operating Officer
The salary range is $113,982 – $140,543. The final salary range will be commensurate with experience and education.Employee CategoryAdministratorsDepartmentUniv Adv - FoundationEClass CodeFull Time AdministratorsPosition Summary
The Chief Financial and Operating Officer (CFOO) is an essential member of the Division of University Advancement (UA), which includes the MSU Denver Foundation (the Foundation). The CFOO is responsible for overseeing both the UA’s and the Foundation’s financial operations, strategy and investments; business operations; and data management. In this role, the CFOO creates, evaluates and implements financial and budget strategies to help the UA and Foundation achieve their goals, often partnering with different internal and external constituents. He/she also ensures that efficient business processes are developed and implemented with a commitment to excellent customer service. An important responsibility of this role is oversight of the data management team that establishes records/funds, records gifts, ensures data integrity and provides meaningful information to the UA Team. The CFOO serves as the Controller for the Foundation, directing accounting staff, developing sound internal controls, ensuring that proper policies and procedures are in place, and guiding staff members in the areas of bookkeeping, accounting, taxes, financial reporting and compliance. The CFOO reports directly to the Vice President of University Advancement (VPUA)/Executive Director of the MSU Denver Foundation, serves on the UA Senior Leadership Team, and supports the Foundation’s Finance, Audit and Investment Committee.
Metropolitan State University of Denver is an equal opportunity employer.
• Works collaboratively with the VPUA and Senior Team to accomplish the UA and Foundation’s goals in support of the University’s mission and strategic plan
• Leads team responsible for providing financial, business operations and data management services across the Division
• Provides staff leadership and support to the Foundation Board Treasurer, the Audit & Finance Committee and the Investment Committee
• Collaborates, as needed, with campus partners to align the Foundation’s financial, business and data management activities with other parts of the University
• Serves on the UA Senior Leadership Team
30% Finance and Investment
• Oversees accounting and finance functions, including managing financial risks, planning, record-keeping, reporting, annual independent audit process, tax reporting requirements, and business analysis
• Develops and oversees policies, procedures and internal controls
• Oversees and directs Foundation and UA budgets; represents UA on the University’s Budget Task Force
• Provides strategic and creative financial solutions to complex projects
• Oversees investment activities and directs the MSU Denver Foundation investment portfolio manager
• Works with auditors, business consultants and attorneys
30% Business Operations
• Designs and implements business systems that promote MSU Denver Foundation’s efficient operations, fund management, financial systems and strategic plan
• Oversees daily financial and advancement services operations, ensuring that services are meeting the Division’s operating needs
• Collaborates with and supports fundraising staff and efforts by assisting with creative gift structuring, capital projects, and planned gifts
• Collaborates with VPUA and other members of the UA team to oversee business advisors, including attorneys and business consultants
20% Data Management
• In conjunction with the Associate VP of University Advancement (AVP Advancement) and the team responsible for these activities, develops and implements an efficient and effective fund/record creation and gift processing system
• Ensures the accuracy and integrity of all data systems, including data input and output, technology management, reporting and staff training/support
• Provides oversight for procurement and file management, including office & equipment management, purchasing, and document storage
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. Relevant experience, e.g., accounting, business, investments/finance, process improvement .
3. Three years of experience in a senior management role.
4. Demonstrated skills at building collaborative relationships with internal and external constituents.
5. Strong oral and written communication skills.
6. Strong customer service skills.
7. Experience supervising staff and working with teams.
8. Demonstrated experience meeting deadlines and working in a deadline-driven environment.
- Master’s degree preferred (e.g., MBA, CPA.)
- Experience working in Raiser’s Edge (donor database), Financial Edge (financial database) and/or similar software systems.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Understanding of foundation accounting.
- Demonstrated success in improving operations and implementing process improvement systems .
- Experience addressing complex financial issues.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Belief in MSU Denver’s mission and work.
Complete applications received by September 18, 2019 will receive full consideration. Position is open until filled.
IMPORTANT: In order to be considered as an applicant you must apply via the online application system, www.msudenverjobs.com.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information.
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.Diversity Statement
MSU Denver is pleased to offer our current and potential employees a wide array of benefit options. To learn more, please visit the following link:
Employee Benefits Offerings
Metropolitan State University of Denver is a unique, access-oriented campus community that values diversity, equity, and inclusion in all its forms. Our student population consists of nearly 50% first generation students and over 45% students of color. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution located in downtown Denver.
We create an equitable learning and working environment in concert with individuals who consistently demonstrate commitment to equity and inclusion. We greatly value the diverse identities and perspectives of our students, faculty, and staff and recognize that in order to achieve a just and equitable society, diversity must go beyond simple representation. It requires critical inquiry and dialogue and a commitment to action. We strive to provide a culture of belonging for all community members to achieve personal and professional success.
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Thank you for considering employment at Metropolitan State University of Denver! We would like to know how you heard about MSU Denver and our Career Site. Please select the category below that describes how you heard about the position you are applying for.
- msudenver.edu Career Site
- A friend or colleague
- Andrew Hudson
- Colorado State Home page
- Current MSU Denver Employee
- Google Jobs Search
- Higher Ed Jobs
- The Chronicle of Higher Education