CIO & Director I.T. Services (29732)
This position is a key member of the Administration, and is responsible for the well-being of the University’s core computer infrastructure and telecom network/data processing system. Success is this role is the leadership of in-house staff and contracted expertise in delivering timely and effective service responses to the Oglethorpe campus community, and a solid offering of hands-on discipline and organization toward the consistent execution of a secure, reliable I.T. operation – including the completion of an ongoing stream of improvements. The position will play an integral role in planning and organizing for the deployment of new, long-term I.T. security and operational solutions that are appropriate for Oglethorpe University.
• Oversee all operating, security, availability, and administrative aspects of the University’s on-site computer system/network. This includes Oglethorpe’s campus LAN, WAN, storage network, server farm and hypervisor, wireless network, data backups, firewalls, operating systems, and various computing devices.
• Continue an ongoing effort to streamline the University’s I.T. system/network to be in step with Oglethorpe’s scale of operations and resource availability.
• Maintain an effective, reliable, service-oriented and appropriately focused I.T. staff and an orchestrated array of contracted technical support resources.
• Oversee the help desk system/process to ensure the best possible response to service requests given the University’s environment/calendar/I.T. department role/resource constraints.
• Orchestrate the deployment of electronically available user training webinars or programs to help various user groups be productive using the University’s core computer network and commonly used applications.
• Facilitate effective improvement project planning, segmentation, communications and execution.
• Ensure the department is well organized to plan for, evaluate options and execute timely updates to key I.T. hardware items, third party service arrangements, operating systems, and software licenses.
• Oversee appropriate policies, protocols, and resource deployment related to network and I.T. system security – from both internal and external threats. This includes I.T. network/system continuous operational and interruption response/recovery capabilities.
• Oversee the operation, security and integrity of the University’s ERP system (currently Ellucian’s “Colleague” software) including data integration from other software platforms.
• Maintain a recurring process to meet and communicate effectively with Cabinet-level offices and key senior staff members to assist with I.T. resource planning/deployment for their University areas of responsibility. This includes working with the Provost and their staff to provide, within allotted resources, the network infrastructure to support in-classroom teaching technologies.
• Work with the CFO to opportunistically deploy available operating and capital improvement resources.
• Engage with higher education I.T. peer groups from comparable private colleges; organize and orchestrate periodic discussions with key University stakeholder groups related to existing, planned and future I.T. solutions; draft an annual Board of Trustees I.T. status overview presentation.
• Maintain up-to-date documentation of I.T. department policies, system and network configurations, security protocols, and other key processes.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the CFO.Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Management Information Sciences (MIS) or a related field, and at least 10 years of progressively responsible and successful I.T. operational and project management roles for organizations with multifaceted/continuously active I.T. areas.
A Master’s degree and work in a higher education I.T. environment is preferred.
Key to Success:
Superior organizational talents with a focus on execution/delivery; leadership by example persona; listening ability; dedication to persistent work ethic and continuous improvement process; broad exposure to various I.T. technologies including Microsoft operating systems and cloud-based systems; ability to network/communicate effectively with a variety of sources and constituencies to formulate appropriate solutions.
Oversees the work of several professional and student staff members on a range of processes and projects.
Work Environment/Physical Demands:
Normal office environment; typically sitting at desk or table; typically bending, crouching, stooping; repetitive wrist, hand or finger movement; occasional lifting with assistance of moderately heavy I.T. hardware items.