Tamil Cataloguing Technician
The University of Toronto Scarborough is a place of energy, enthusiasm and passion. Our commitment to inclusive excellence attracts the brightest learners, scholars and employees from around the globe. Our success has been made possible by the opportunity given to us by our Indigenous hosts to operate on their territory, and we cherish our continuing partnerships with these communities. The University of Toronto Scarborough is an exciting campus with unlimited potential. Join us on our journey.
The UTSC Library is a leader in academic library service and program development. The library supports research and study by housing an extensive network of scholarly materials in many formats. The library offers an extensive reference and research service and holds a local collection of about 400,000 print items, journal subscriptions, sound recordings, videos and films, a leisure reading collection, special research and archival collections. The library’s collections are complemented by our services and professional staff of librarians and technicians that support the daily operation of a library that is committed to promoting equity, diversity and inclusion to help create a truly rich and engaging academic experience.
Working under general direction of the Coordinator, Collections, the Tamil Cataloguing Technician provides support for the development of Tamil collections for the UTSC Library’s Special Collections and Digital Collections Program, including translation and metadata creation. This work requires the use of a variety of computer software and/or hardware systems in support of digital asset management. The position contributes to other related projects as required.
Activities include cataloguing of Tamil materials and metadata translations between Tamil and English, including analyzing content and describing materials utilizing standard resources and online databases.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Performing original descriptive cataloguing of resources and/or archival materials
- Creating and updating catalogue records
- Verifying that records are linked to correct bibliographic and electronic resources
- Conducting authority control of records to ensure discoverability and access to material
- Entering metadata
- Checking metadata for quality control
- Probing for information to establish needs
- Identifying and analyzing data discrepancies and taking necessary actions to correct errors
- Bachelor's Degree or acceptable combination of equivalent experience.
- Minimum four years related library academic experience in the areas of translation and/or cataloguing
- Professional history of translation and work in Tamil environments
- Demonstrated work experience with metadata schemes (i.e. Dublin Core, MARC, RDA, RDF and others) currently in use within the academic community
- Demonstrated comfort with new technologies
- Excellent proficiency with the Tamil and English languages including written and oral communication skills
- Strong translation skills
- Superior analytical and problem-solving ability
- Advanced computer skills (Excel, Word)
- Ability to thrive in a team environment and take initiative
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to deal with a large volume of materials
- Superior organizational and time management skills
- Strong interpersonal and customer service skills
- Ability to work under tight deadlines
- Two-year Library Technician Diploma would be an asset
To be successful in this role you will be:
Department: UTSC: Library
Job Field: Library
Job Posting: Sep 17, 2019
Job Closing: Sep 26, 2019, 12:59:00 PM