Database Administrator Associate
Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS03991PWorking TitleDatabase Administrator AssociateDepartmentEITS Systems EngineeringAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websitePosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRSEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
8am – 5pm, Monday – Friday; Occasional after-hours as needed.Advertised Salary$49,000 - 55,000Posting Date09/17/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date11/01/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleIT Database Support Paraprofessional/ProfessionalPay Grade116FLSANon-ExemptJob FamilyElectronic Data ProcessingFTE1.0Minimum Qualifications
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an apprenticeship, a 2-year degree, or professional certificate. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
The Database Administrator Associate will Assist the DBA Team on relational databases and related development efforts including creating interfaces using PL/SQL, SSIS, ETL, Reporting tools, etc. This position will also assist the DBA Team managing and coordinating database level security to these systems including setting up triggers for application level fine-grained access.
The Database Administrator Associate will develop solutions in Microsoft SQL, Oracle, and conduct code reviews on as needed basis SQL code written by other developers.
This position will consult and train other technical staff members on best practices related to SQL development for Applications, Reporting, ETL and People tools.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
Proficient in advanced SQL query development and design
- Experience administering and/or developing in Oracle and/or MSSQL Server environments
- Understanding of Oracle and MSSQL database security
- Experience with Linux and/or Window Server.
Perform tasks at a workstation for long periods of time.Is driving a responsibility of this position?Is this a Position of Trust?Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?NoDoes this position require a P-Card? NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications)YesCredit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Assist, Tailor, Develop and enhance Database and Reporting Environment
1. Follow standard procedures, oversee technical development and testing of reports, dashboards and procedures
2. Assist in the implementation and support of MSSQL Servers, Oracle Databases, ODS, ETL processes and feeds from ERP.
3. Create reporting functional specifications, make recommendations and changes in order to improve and support business activities, and measure performance against goals, incidents, customer requests and satisfaction
4. Write SQL queries to extract required information in order to conduct data analysis, build and interpret predictive models and troubleshoot issues
5. Compile data into meaningful data visualizations including dashboards, tables and graphs and present findings to team members, leadership and clients
Assists the DBA team in developing, maintaining, and implementing a centralized database administration function for the University of Georgia’s Administrative Information Systems.
1. Develop database development standards and document processes.
2. Research new technology and compatibility with existing platforms, suggesting enhancements/modifications if needed. Create database objects.
3. Work with business clientele users of Administrative Information Systems and assist with connectivity, security and procedures.
4. Assist with Oracle and Microsoft SQL database administration.
Assists the DBA team in planning for the installation and upgrading of new and existing system and subsystem applications
1. Research software installation and maintenance information.
2. Develop, coordinate and assist in migration actions and strategies related to applications.
3. Prepare target and driving system for new software installation.
4. Document migration strategies for application areas.
Assists the DBA team in managing Database level security and coordinate modifications to table level attributes of the Banner database
1. Create and maintain custom database level Operational Data Store and Enterprise Data Warehouse. Revise access level for these roles as needed.
2. Apply security related triggers to applicable users, system accounts and processes
3. Communicate database security measures with other developers in an effort to support appropriate use and protection of institutional data
4. Gather information as requested by management in support of internal and state audits.
Coordinate management of information and requirements from/to EITS senior management and/or immediate supervisor
1. Assists the DBA team in efficiently and effectively maintaining the status of projects via software designated by EITS senior management based on pre-established guidelines.
2. Assists the DBA team in responding to special requests of EITS senior management within specified time.
3. Assists the DBA team in reporting major activities, successes, solutions and problems to immediate supervisor.
Provide Application Support as needed
1. Provide on-site technical support for ODS, ETL, and other related databases to identify (debug/troubleshoot) and resolve systems’ problems. Formulate and implement appropriate corrections.
2. Provide technical support and advice to users and/or peers
3. Coordinate Change Management for assigned production changes and coordinate enhancement releases
4. Assist in enhancements related to Banner, ODS, ETL and other systems supported by the student team.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter