Program Specialist 2 - Veterans Affairs
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) seeks a highly motivated and qualified individual for the position of Program Specialist 2 - Veterans Affairs (VA).
The Program Specialist 2 - VA will serve as a vital second certifying Veterans education benefit official, coordinate program resources and services, act as military services related liaison and provide consultation to program participants and outside entities regarding the needs of veterans and their dependents.
South Puget Sound Community College is committed to increasing its cultural diversity with an emphasis on equity and inclusion among its professional staff. The students that we serve come from a variety of backgrounds. We strongly encourage members of the underrepresented groups, veterans, and bi- or multi-lingual individuals to apply for this position to help meet the needs of our diverse students and service district.
We also offer:
- The Clipper Café specializing in seasonal comfort foods
- The Bake Shop offering daily baked goods made by our students
- Fine dining in the Percival Room, offering vegetarian, vegan, and gluten-free choices as part of our Culinary Arts and Baking & Pastry Arts programs
- Campus bookstore offering snacks, apparel, and specialty supplies
- Starbucks coffee shop
- Bus service every 15 minutes to downtown Olympia and beyond – you receive a FREE State Agency Rider (STAR) Pass
- FREE parking on our campuses – permits are not required
- On-campus child care
- Percival Creek, which runs beneath our campus footbridge, provides year-round beauty and views of Chinook, Coho, and chum salmon pass through each fall
- Many walking paths that are marked and on nicely paved sidewalks
- Gym and recreation facilities
- SPSCC promotes wellness with a variety of different workshops and events on campus
- Lots of activities with our Artist & Lecture series, which are FREE for staff and faculty
- Many community events in the Kenneth J. Minnaert Center for the Arts
Provide information and technical assistance regarding Veterans Benefits programs
- Assist military related students with information and access to benefits
- Evaluate student's service for benefit eligibility
- Serve as liaison between students and Department of Veterans Affairs to expedite files and verify information
Certify veterans/dependents educational benefits
Coordinate arrangements for meetings with representatives from the State Approving Agency, Work Force Training Board, and Department of Veterans Affairs:
- Coordinate meetings between students and agency representatives if requested
- Attend meetings as one of the college's veterans representatives
- Prepare and organize requested VA files for auditing purposes in coordination with other staff as needed
Work with the veteran services team to organize veteran focused events:
- Inviting community partners to events
- Assist in planning and running on-campus activities for veterans
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education/experience.
- Demonstrated commitment to high level customer service
- Experience working with military related populations; experience working with military related programs and benefits
- Experience creating and facilitating workshops or presentations about military related benefit programs
- Advanced knowledge of computers and software applications, specifically MS Office suite: Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access.
- Commitment to a working environment that values a diverse academic environment, inclusive of students, faculty, and staff of diverse cultural, socioeconomic, and educational backgrounds
Skills & Abilities:
- Strong organizational skills, ability to work independently and prioritize multiple tasks, maintain office confidentiality and accommodate numerous interruptions.
- Position requires high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work well with others and function as a team member.
Applications must be completed online and include the following attachments:
- Cover letter addressed to the Screening Committee highlighting your ability to perform the responsibilities and competencies described in the job posting.
- Current resume/CV showing all educational and professional experience which demonstrates how you meet the minimum and any preferred qualifications.
Top candidates will be notified directly to interview for this position. Selection will be based on the applicant's knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the duties listed in this job posting as identified in the materials requested above. Applications with comments directing the reader to see attachments will be considered incomplete.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications and wishing to claim Veterans Preference should redact their personally identifiable information from a copy of their United States Department of Veterans Affairs honorable discharge documentation and email to [email protected] with the job number for which they are applying in the subject line.
Background Check Condition of Employment
Employment with the college is contingent upon the successful completion of a comprehensive background check. Any adverse information will be considered on a case-by-case basis and does not automatically preclude a candidate from employment.
SPSCC is an Equal Opportunity Employer
South Puget Sound Community College (SPSCC) is an equal opportunity employer. We strive to create a working environment that includes and respects cultural, racial, ethnic, sexual orientations, and gender identity diversity. Women, racial and ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, persons over age 40, disabled and Vietnam era veterans, and people of all sexual orientations and gender identities are encouraged to apply. The College complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act. Applicants needing accommodation in the application process in an alternative format may contact the Human Resources office at (360) 596-5500. The College is committed to enhancing the diversity of our faculty and staff, as well as our student population. We strongly encourage applicants to apply without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital or veteran status, disability, or any other legal protected status. SPSCC is a drug-free workplace.