Press Technician - University Press (122372)
Illini Union Document Services
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Press Technicians perform work requiring skill in computerized offset, digital and/or letter press printing on medium sized presses. They work under general supervision of a designated supervisor.
A(n) Press Technician typically -
- operates multi-color and digital presses for complex printed materials.
- acts as lead worker in print shops in press room areas where a variety of multi-level tasks are performed by lower level technicians; assists lower level workers in maintenance of presses and peripheral equipment (e.g., cutters, folders, collators, binders, etc.), including cleaning, preventative maintenance, lubrication, and roller/blanket care; assists lower level workers in performance of duties and understanding of job specifications.
- ‘lock-up’ and make-ready for letter press operations.
- troubleshoots various operating errors and determines the most appropriate solution to the problem.
- interprets job order tickets and prepares presses for operation and production.
- trains and assists lower level technicians in operation of equipment.
- operates multi-color and digital press cylinder or automatic platen presses on a regular basis, producing highly complex single to full color printed materials (e.g., multi-color brochures, full color posters and booklets, and full color marketing materials).
- performs all make-ready/set-up work, prepares chemicals, mixes complex ink colors from various mixing systems.
- making necessary adjustments on presses to ensure accuracy and high quality results.
- verifying press proofs for correct imposition, registration, ink coverage, etc.; verifying weight, color, size, finish, and grain of paper stock for complex printing projects functions.
- performs other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation or equivalent.
- Four years (48 months) of professional work experience in the operation of letterpress, offset, digital, or web presses or other closely related equipment.
For more information about this Civil Service classification:
This Press Technician position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible Civil Service position. The work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $31.14 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an Exam Request form for Press Technician. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license (copy of both sides), professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
Exam scores for this credential assessment will be based on materials submitted, rather than a written exam.
Do not apply if you are a current employee working in this classification. Current employees may request to be added to the Transfer List.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Illinois Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or [email protected].
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.
College Name or Administrative Unit:Illini Union Category:8-Technical Title:Press Technician - University Press (122372) Open Date:09/17/2019 Close Date:09/24/2019 Organization Name:Illini Union-Oper