Job Title: Athletic Training
Job ID: 13799
Title: Athletic Training
Rank: Assistant / Associate Professor
Status: Tenure Track
Start: Fall 2020 (August 2020)
The Department of Kinesiology at California State University, Fresno is seeking a tenure-track position at the Assistant Professor or Associate Professor rank. The successful candidate will teach collaboratively and conduct clinical research in one or more of the following areas: evaluation and treatment of musculoskeletal and general medical conditions, cadaver anatomy, prevention and wellness, occupational health and safety and thermoregulation. Additional responsibilities include scholarly activities, advising students, graduate projects/thesis supervision, curriculum development, and service at all levels of the university, community outreach, and other activities deemed appropriate.
Our Students: California State University, Fresno is committed to serving our students with a focus on inclusion. Fresno State has been recognized as a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI); an Asian American/Native American/Pacific Islander-Serving Institution (AANAPISI); and has been designated to the Community Engagement Classification by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
Qualifications:Required Education (from an accredited institution or foreign equivalent.):
- An earned doctorate (PhD, DSc, EdD) in Kinesiology, Athletic Training, Exercise Science, or a closely related discipline.
- Applicants nearing completion of the doctorate (ABD) may be considered; however, for appointment, the doctorate must be completed by August 1, 2020.
- Demonstrated commitment to working effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds;
- Certified as an Athletic Trainer by the Board of Certification, Inc.;
- Evidence of clinical practice as an Athletic Trainer (can be obtained concurrently with post-professional degrees);
- Evidence of teaching experience in the areas of Athletic Training or Sports Medicine; and
- Evidence of peer-reviewed publications in the areas of Athletic Training or Sports Medicine.
- Experience in team teaching
- Administrative experience in a CAATE accredited program
- Experience in injury prevention screening, fitness and wellness, or cadaver anatomy.
Application Procedures: To ensure full consideration, applicants should submit all application materials by 10/24/2019; review of applications may continue until the position is filled.. This position automatically closes May 1, 2020. Apply online at: http://jobs.csufresno.edu and attach the following:
- Cover letter addressing qualifications and experience;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Names and contact information of three professional references;
- Statement addressing your commitment to working with faculty, staff, and students from diverse ethnic, cultural, and socioeconomic backgrounds
Candidates invited for an on-campus visit must submit by mail/e-mail within designated deadline. The Search Chair will send information and requests for these items:
- Three current letters of recommendation (dated within the last 6 months)
- Official transcripts
California State University, Fresno is an engaged University. We focus on broadening students' intellectual horizons, fostering lifelong learning skills, developing the leaders of tomorrow, promoting community involvement, and instilling an appreciation of world cultures. We nurture cultural competence by celebrating the rich diversity of the campus community and welcoming the participation of all. Members of the University community are expected to work effectively with faculty, staff and students from diverse ethnic, cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds. For information on the University's commitment and dedication to creating a university known for its integrity, civility, equity, respect and ethical behavior, please visit: http://www.fresnostate.edu/academics/diversity The campus is ranked 24th in the nation by Washington Monthly; ranked 3rd by U.S. News & World Report in graduation rate performance for public institutions; and, ranked 41st in the nation in MONEY Magazines 50 Best Public Colleges.
Tenure-Track Faculty members gain a clear path to tenure through the University's Probationary Plan Process. For additional information, please visit: www.fresnostate.edu/academics/facultyaffairs/procedures/facultyrtp/. We value our commitment to the success of our faculty by providing services from the Center for Faculty Excellence to Research and Sponsored Programs.
About the College and Department:
The Department of Kinesiology has well-established graduate programs in several Kinesiology disciplines such as Sport Psychology, Exercise Science, and Sport Administration. The Master of Science in Athletic Training will begin in Fall 2020, replacing an undergraduate professional program that has been successful for more than three decades. Our faculty members have diverse clinical and research expertise across the lifespan, including pediatric, adolescent, and aging populations of the culturally diverse Central Valley.
Faculty research initiatives are broad and collaborative with faculty from across the University (CHHS Faculty Research Profiles). Due to our unique and diverse student population, California State University, Fresno is designated as a minority-serving institution. This distinction provides access to numerous external research and funding opportunities. In addition to external grant support, faculty have received both assigned time and funding through Chancellor, Provost, and College Awards. Faculty research and faculty-led student projects have won numerous awards over the last several years. New Hires have a reduced teaching schedule and advising roster for their first two academic years.
The department has state-of-the-art equipment to support both teaching and research, including four labs: (Kines Labs Webpage)
- The Human Performance laboratory equipped with Parvo Metabolic Cart, EMG, BodPod, Biodex Isokinetic Dynamometer, and an array of research-grade treadmills and bicycles.
- The Hydration Exercise and Thermoregulation [HEAT] Lab complete with a Cantrol Environmental Chamber, electronically-braked cycle ergometer and multiple methods to measure hydration.
- The Sport and Exercise Psychology Lab with private client counseling space and collaborative meeting space.
- The Athletic Training laboratory with state of the art teaching spaces, patient simulation examination room, video capture and projection capabilities, conference room with student library, and simulated athletic training clinic complete with examination and rehabilitation equipment. The program also has a human cadaver laboratory with a filtered ventilation system and an overhead dissecting camera system.
Faculty in the Department are active leaders in kinesiology and athletic training locally, regionally as well as nationally. We frequently collaborate with Physical Therapy Faculty to conduct research and service through the Central California Sports Sciences Institute housed on campus.
Other Campus Information:
In compliance with the Annual Security Report & Fire Safety Report of Campus Security Policy and Campus Crime Statistics Act, California State University, Fresno has made crime-reporting statistics available to applicants, students, and employees online at www.fresnostate.edu/police/clery/index.shtml. Print copies are available by request from the Campus Police Department.
A background check (including criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily for this position. An offer of employment may be withdrawn or employment may be terminated based upon the results of the background investigation.
The person holding this position is considered a "limited reporter" under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 Revised July 21, 2017 as a condition of employment. You can obtain a copy of this Executive order by accessing the following website: http://www.calstate.edu/eo/EO-1083.html.
California State University, Fresno is a smoke-free campus. For more information, please click http://fresnostate.edu/adminserv/smokefree/index.html
California State University, Fresno is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, or protected veteran status.