Technology Support Specialist
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-17
The University of Virginia is seeking a Technology Support Specialist to provide technical support services to staff in Housing & Residence Life, [email protected], Orientation & New Student Programs, and other associated offices to ensure timely problem resolution, system/data access and optimal system performance. This represents a user community of approximately 45 full-time staff and 325 student staff.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of IT Operations, the position is responsible for a range of services in support of the team goal to provide a secure, reliable, and cost-effective technology environment. The position is responsible for the setup, maintenance, troubleshooting, and timely resolution of problems related to desktop and laptop computers, mobile devices, printers, digital signs, conference rooms and other audio-visual equipment, and all associated software systems.
- Provide technical support through the department’s Help Desk to resolve first and second tier common software, hardware and communications issues in an efficient and timely manner.
- Provide high quality customer service through courteous and professional communication and consistent follow-up.
- Provide basic application and system training for users.
- Triage and route advanced second and third tier requests to the appropriate technical personnel.
- Maintain strong working relationships with IT professionals in other departments.
- Serve as a resource for and assist in training of Student IT Assistants.
Projects and Maintenance:
- Execute projects to replace, upgrade, or improve current technology.
- Accurately configure, test, install, deploy, and upgrade computers, printers, mobile devices, digital signs, and audio-visual equipment.
- Proactively identify potential problems through regular inspections and preventative maintenance on equipment and supplies.
- Diagnose and make minor hardware repairs, or coordinate work through appropriate vendors or service providers.
Reporting, Documentation, and Records:
- Accurately document technical support request history.
- Monitor logs and verify that operating system, application, and security updates are applied on schedule. Perform malware and sensitive data scans.
- Develop and update procedures and guidelines in the department’s knowledge base.
- Maintain accurate inventories of hardware and software assets and spare parts.
- Coordinate storage and disposal of surplus equipment.
- As an “LSP” (Local Support Partner), serve as a liaison with the University’s Information Technology Services department.
- This position is responsible for other special projects and duties as assigned.
Level of Independent Activity
Work priorities and goals are set in consultation with supervisor. The position will perform routine daily activities without supervision, and is expected to apply skills to solve routine problems without review and devise approaches to performing assignments. When unprecedented problems are encountered or decisions are required related to exception to procedure, new system implementation, or fiscal expenditures, the employee should seek assistance from supervisor. The employee is expected to adhere to all established University and departmental policies, procedures, risk management programs, and safety standards.
Education, Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Required Education: Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems, or related discipline. 5 years of relevant and progressive experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Required Experience: At least 1 year of work experience in technical support in a complex business environment
- Preferred Experience: 4-7 years of relevant work experience
- Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent customer service skills, including ability to work with a diverse customer base and to communicate tactfully with users of varying technical abilities
- In-depth knowledge of hardware and software technologies used in the university environment, including common office applications and Windows, Mac OS, and iOS platforms
- Working knowledge of current information technology concepts and terminology, computer security best practices, and network environments
- Proven troubleshooting skills and the ability to diagnose and resolve complex software, hardware, printing, audio-visual, and network issues
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team and to make appropriate independent decisions and recommendations.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills, including ability to clearly document processes and to communicate complex technical information to novice computer users
- High attention to detail, and ability to organize tasks to meet deadlines under stress and time pressure
- Ability to master new systems, technologies, and processes quickly
The successful candidate will pass a background check. PROCESS FOR INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs,” and search for ‘Technology Support Specialist.’ Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). PROCESS FOR EXTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: Please visit UVA job board https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs, search for Requisition R0010274 , complete the application and attach a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address). Please note that multiple documents can be uploaded in the "Resume" box. Applications that do not contain all of the required documents will not receive full consideration. For information regarding the position or the application process, please contact Michele Jarman at email@example.com.
Valid U.S. driver’s license required. The position requires seated work using a computer, as well as regular handling of fragile parts, and lifting of large equipment weighing more than 50 pounds.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.