Library Assistant, Campbell Library
Welcome to Rowan University’s Career Site
Rowan University is a Carnegie-classified Doctoral University (Moderate Research Activity) with approximately 19,000 students. Its main campus is located in Glassboro, N.J., 20 miles southeast of Philadelphia, with additional campuses in Camden and Stratford. The University comprises seven academic colleges and five schools—the William G. Rohrer College of Business; the Henry M. Rowan College of Engineering; the Colleges of Communication and Creative Arts, Education, Humanities and Social Sciences, Performing Arts, and Science and Mathematics; the Cooper Medical School of Rowan University; the Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine; the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences; the School of Health Professions; and the School of Earth and Environment—with an Honors College that spans across disciplines. Rowan is one of two public universities in the country to offer M.D. and D.O. medical degree programs. The institution is also home to the South Jersey Technology Park, which fosters the translation of applied research into commercial products and processes. Rowan has been recognized as one of the top 90 public research universities and the 7th fastest growing research institution in the nation.
Rowan University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. For the complete Rowan University non-discrimination and affirmative action policy see: https://sites.rowan.edu/equity/_docs/policies/eeo-statement.pdf.
Library Assistant, Campbell Library
Job no: 494056
Work type: Regular full time
Location: Glassboro, New Jersey
- Reporting to the evening Technical Library Assistant, under the supervision of the Head of Access Services, this position performs a variety of paraprofessional, detailed library duties as established in Campbell Library’s policies, rules, and standardized procedures. There are specified assignments; however, the essential duties are to staff the Public Services desk. Participates in closing of the library building on each of the scheduled days.
- Assist with stacks maintenance including shelving of library material, examining the collection for the condition of books, and shifting when necessary. The Library Assistant must be flexible as Friday and Saturday hours differ from Sunday through Thursday. Performance will be reviewed periodically to ensure compliance with procedures and standards.
Examples of Work:
- Charging and discharging library material; inspecting books, media for damage.
- Providing outstanding customer service.
- Upon patron request, locate books and publications, based on call number; accompany the patron to the location when feasible.
- Answering patron inquiries about the physical location of library material, including an explanation of searching the online catalog, referring complex questions to the reference librarian on duty.
- Performing accurate shelving tasks utilizing the Library of Congress Classification System.
- Entering new patron information into the Alma System, verifying name, address, and necessary personal information.
- Pushing book carts with library materials.
- Shifting books as needed to make room for new library materials.
- Recording usage statistics.
- Semester hours: Sunday through Tuesday, 4:00 pm to 12 midnight; Friday, 12 noon-8:00 PM; Saturday 11:30 am-7:30 pm.
- Summer hours to be determined
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Proven ability to learn complex computer systems.
- Adaptable to a flexible work schedule.
- Previous experience in a library setting.
- Range A09 ($31,686.19-$35,821.74)
Please note that this position is subject to the NJ First Act, requiring public employees to establish residency in the State of New Jersey. See N.J.S.A. 52:14-7 (L. 2011, Chapter 70) for further information.
Advertised: Sep 17 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Oct 2 2019 11:55 PM Eastern Daylight Time