Tenure-eligible Associate/Full Professor, Learning Sciences
The Graduate School of Education in the University at Buffalo, SUNY, invites applications for an Associate/Full Professor to lead a campus-wide, cluster-hire initiative in the Learning Sciences. This effort will lead to the establishment of a core group of prominent faculty in the disciplines of Learning Sciences, Human Computer Partnerships, Cognitive Psychology / Sciences, and Learning Environments. Our aim is to explore and investigate the impact of 21st century technologies on learning environments by answering such questions as: What affordances can artificial intelligence, human computer partnerships, and virtual reality bring to bear on our understanding of learning environments across the lifespan? How can learning technology impact accessibility, identity development, persistence, and perceptions, all within the current and future needs of society?
As the lead organization in this initiative, the Graduate School of Education seeks a candidate who would lead the effort to develop a team of scholars who share an interest in exploring how research can lead to better understandings of the interaction between technology, pedagogy, and environments while also considering the vital need to reduce persistent inequities. This initiative also serves UB’s goal of establishing, implementing, validating, and advocating pathways for translation and scaling of the best tested educational technologies within a diverse range of learning environments. The focus on translation and scaling of AI and other applicable technologies to problems of learning is critical to future priorities in learning across the lifespan. Central to the effectiveness of this initiative is a belief in the importance of cross-disciplinary translational research.
The University at Buffalo is New York State's largest and most comprehensive public university. A premier center for graduate and professional education, UB is a member of the prestigious Association of American Universities, placing it amongst the leading research-intensive public universities in the United States. Based upon their research and scholarly productivity, as well as key leadership roles served in professional associations, faculty members in the Graduate School of Education are acknowledged, both in the U.S. and abroad, as leaders in their respective fields.
Priority will be given to candidates who have an established track record in interdisciplinary research and demonstrated experience in directing a group of scholars with a shared intellectual purpose across multiple academic units. However, all scholars with significant interest are encouraged to apply. For full consideration, please submit an application before October 30th.
- An earned Ph.D. in a Learning Science related field (e.g., Education, Cognitive Psychology, Computer Science, Architecture)
- A record of scholarship in research that could be qualified as Learning Science
- Leadership and administrative experience
- Higher-education teaching experience
- A successful record of external funding for Learning Science research
- Experience in developing or expanding course offerings in the Learning Sciences & related fields
- Successful experience working across multiple disciplines and fields.
- Evidence of leadership at the university and national level.
- Evidence of commitment to issues of equity, access, and culturally responsive education.
Applications received by October 30, 2019, are assured full consideration. We will continue to accept and screen applications until the position is filled. A complete application includes:
- A cover letter outlining your qualifications and interest in the position
- A separate document describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in your current position(s) and how you plan to continue to do so in the future
- Curriculum vitae
- Three sample publications
- Contact information for three (3) references
To review the complete position posting and to apply, please visit: https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/21532
For general help or questions about submissions
Contact Name: Marian Summa
Email: [email protected]
For questions about the Associate/Full Professor position
Contact Name: Sam Abramovich
Title: Associate Professor and Search Chair
Email: [email protected]
The University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).