Tenure-track, Assistant Professor of Literacy Education
The Department of Learning and Instruction in the Graduate School of Education at the University at Buffalo, State University of New York invites applications for a position as an Assistant Professor Literacy Education to begin August 2019.
As a faculty member, the successful applicant will also (a) maintain an active and productive research agenda commensurate with Research 1 tenure track faculty appointments; (b) seek external grant funding; (c) teach graduate courses in literacy for both the Masters and PhD programs; and (d) advise Ed.M. and Ph.D. students.
We seek candidates whose experience and research have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence while bringing in additional perspectives that will contribute to a dynamic and engaged research, teaching, and service agenda. Strong applicants demonstrate evidence of strong potential for excellence in research and for seeking and securing external funding. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged to apply.
- An earned doctorate in reading, literacy, or related field prior to appointment
- Research in areas of literacy and diversity including, but not limited to: language, race, culture, Indigeneity, sexuality, gender, dis/ability, geographic location, socio-economic status, or newcomer/refugee/immigrant literacies in urban school settings or with underprivileged populations
- A research focus in one or more areas of reading/writing literacy research related to elementary, middle grades/adolescent literacy in urban or diverse school settings
- Experience and/or teaching in P-12 schools, particularly experience with diverse populations
- Teaching experience in teacher education settings
- Experience with online teaching and digital literacies
- Strong potential for funding
- Published research or scholarship (or strong potential for publication)
Applications received by October 18, 2019, are assured full consideration. We will continue to accept and screen applications until the position is filled. A complete application includes:
- A cover letter that includes: (a) relevant qualifications for the position, (b) research and teaching interests (not to exceed 4 pages)
- A curriculumvitae
- A 1-page single-spaced statement describing how you have worked to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in your previous position(s)—as a graduate student or faculty member—and how you plan to continue to do so as a faculty member at UB
- Sample of writing/publications combined into one .pdf document
To review the complete position posting and to apply, please visit: https://www.ubjobs.buffalo.edu/postings/21530
For general help or questions about submissions
Contact Name: Marian Summa
Email: [email protected]
For questions about the Assistant Professor position
Contact Name: Mary McVee, PhD
Title: Professor and Search Chair
Email: [email protected]
The University at Buffalo is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer (AA/EOE).