Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleGroundskeeperDepartmentFE&P GroundskeepingFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS19701Open Date06/26/2019Close Date10/14/2019Salary Information
$11.50 – $13.90/hourWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The groundskeeper will perform general landscape maintenance including: mowing, edging, trimming, pruning, raking, planting, watering, and weeding campus turf, trees, shrubs and planting beds. The Groundskeeper will also clean streets, sidewalks, loading docks, and parking lots.
This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Education RequiredNo formal educationMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
High school diploma or equivalent.Experience Required2 yearsType of Experience
Related landscaping/grounds work and/or maintenance experience.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience PreferredLicense/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Ability to follow instructions
- Basic knowledge of ground maintenance
- Good communication skills and a willingness to obtain specialized training
- Willingness to obtain specialized training which may include attending seminars or other training classes
Internal: Frequent contact with other FE&P employees and some contact with college magisters, college residents or with building representatives.
External: Infrequent contact with visitors seeking direction around campus.Physical Demands
HEAVY – Exert up to 70 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects. Requires walking, standing, lifting and carrying heavy objects up to 8 hours per day and multi-limb coordination to operate heavy equipment. Other physical requirements of the job include the ability to bend/crouch/or kneel, see, reach, climb, and balance.Working Conditions
Work is done outdoors, exposure to inclement weather (hot, cold, rain, etc.).Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/20212 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Maintains landscape plants
- Mows, edges, trims, prunes, rakes, plants, waters, and weeds the turf, trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers on campus
- Cleans assigned areas after work is complete
- Picks up litter and empties trash cans
- Cleans streets, sidewalks, loading docks, and parking lots
- Fertilizes plants
- Keeps area drain grates clean
- Moves furniture and other items as assigned
- Performs all other duties assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have two years of related landscaping/grounds work and/or maintenance experience?