Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleDepartment CoordinatorDepartmentAcademic AdvisingFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20151Open Date09/16/2019Close Date09/30/2019Salary Information
Salary Commensurate with Experience and QualificationsWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The Office of Academic Advising (OAA) at Rice University strives for an unparalleled environment for undergraduates to explore opportunities, identify goals, and implement plans to reach those goals. The OAA directs, coordinates, and supports campus wide advising by providing training and comprehensive resources to all faculty, staff, and student advisors.
The department coordinator provides advanced administrative support for the OAA, as well as answers phones, greets visitors and directs traffic. S/he coordinates and monitors processes related to the function of the office, coordinates schedule of events for yearly, monthly, and weekly activities, and assists with budget preparation and maintenance. S/he assists in coordination and support of specialized academic advising, including support of all specialized advising such as health professions, pre-law, and transfer student advising. S/he will also assist and support the director of academic advising/associate director as necessary.
The ideal candidate is well versed in academic advising activities and procedures in order to handle a broad range of inquiries. S/he is able to proactively plan anticipated workflow and make suggestions regarding time frames and deadlines. S/he is able to work with people in a professional, courteous, and tactful manner and has a keen attention to detail.Education RequiredHS Diploma or equivalentMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Bachelor’s degree or some college coursework and/or professional development.Experience Required3 yearsType of Experience
Related administrative support experience.Substitution for Experience Requirement
May substitute additional related experience, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the education requirement.Experience Preferred
Three years of related administrative support experience in higher education administration.License/Certification RequiredLicense/Certification PreferredSkills Required
- Proficient computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications
- Demonstrated success in follow-through and completing routine tasks
- Advanced organizational skills and attention to detail
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task
- Able to manage scheduling needs of multiple professional staff members
- Proficient with calendar applications (e.g. Google calendar and Microsoft Outlook)
- Proficient with survey applications (e.g. Google forms and Qualtrics)
Internal: Contact with students, faculty, student affairs staff, administrative staff, and college magisters.
External: Contact with prospective students, alumni, parents of current/prospective students, and representatives of other universities.Physical Demands
Requires working at a computer for extended periods of time (up to eight hours per day).Working Conditions
Office environment.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to Applicants
Cover letter and resume are requiredQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21303 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Coordinates two or more administrative and/or business functions including, but not limited to: budget/finance, human resources, facilities management, communication and/or outreach
- Generates routine communications; coordinates production (formatting, copying, etc.) and distribution of documents, such as presentations, course handouts, grant proposals, conference and seminar materials, complex reports, brochures, and displays
- Plans and schedules calendar(s), resolves calendaring conflicts, and arranges travel
- Processes and monitors financial transactions, including resolution of discrepancies
- Schedules, organizes, and operates conferences, seminars, and events, including recommending vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, coordinating logistics, and serving as liaison with internal and external vendors
- Maintains office supplies and equipment; obtains vendor quotes, as needed
- Coordinates office moves
- Serves as the point of contact for general maintenance, health and safety, and other facility concerns within the unit(s); reports any incidents or potential safety problems to appropriate representatives
- Maintains and updates approved web content
- Performs human resources transactional support, e.g. time cards, I9’s, and/or faculty affairs support
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Coordinates logistical aspects of programs and events for the OAA, including venue reservations, food orders, set-up, and hosting
- Coordinates, manages, and schedules appointments and calendars for seven to ten advisors
- Greets customers (e.g. students, parents, faculty, and staff) at the front desk and fields in person inquiries and requests for appointments
- Responds to a wide range of inquiries regarding academic advising activities and processes, resolves common issues, and refers complex issues to higher levels
- Monitors and maintains the budget, reviews expenses, processes invoices and purchase orders, reconciles the budget, collects and enters budget data, prepares reports, and may recommend and implement new budgetary processes and procedures
- Assists the director with the coordination of staff hires (e.g. processes personnel action forms, updates job descriptions, coordinates interview days, submits appropriate hiring paperwork, and approves timesheets)
- Cover Letter
- Writing Sample
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have three years or more of related administrative support experience or additional related education, above and beyond what is required, on an equivalent year for year basis in lieu of the experience requirement?
- * Please provide the salary or range that you would require or consider for this position.
(Open Ended Question)