Groundskeeper I - Arboriculture
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleGroundskeeper I - ArboricultureDepartmentFE&P GroundskeepingFull Time/Part TimeFull-TimeRequisition NumberS20130Open Date09/16/2019Close Date10/14/2019Salary Information
$11.50 – $13.90/hourWork Schedule
Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.Benefits EligibleYesEligible for OvertimeYesPosition Summary
The groundskeeper I – arboriculture, under the supervision of the grounds supervisor and arborists I and II, will perform hands on corrective procedures and preventative maintenance to trees and shrubs on campus with the goals of promoting the health, safety and vigor of campus trees and other woody plants.Education RequiredNo formal educationMajor/DisciplineSubstitution for Education Requirement
Experience may not be substituted for the education requirement.Education Preferred
Associate’s degree or higher in forestry, horticulture or related field.Experience Required2 yearsType of Experience
Experience in grounds/landscaping/tree work and/or maintenance.Substitution for Experience Requirement
Education may not be substituted for the experience requirement.Experience Preferred
Over one year of experience in tree maintenance.License/Certification Required
Valid Texas driver’s license (or ability to obtain one within thirty days of employment) required with no more than three moving violations or at fault accidents within the past 36 months and no convictions or deferred dispositons for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the last five years.License/Certification Preferred
International Society of Arboriculture certified Tree Worker/Climber Specialist or International Society of Arboriculture certified ArboristSkills Required
- Ability to follow instructions
- Basic knowledge of ground maintenance
- Familiarity with ANSI A200 standards for tree care operations
- Good communication skills and a willingness to obtain specialized training
Internal Contacts: Frequent, extensive contact with Grounds employees and other FE&P employees including craftspeople, project managers, and management.
External Contacts: Occasionally, contacts vendors and participates in off-campus training opportunities.Physical Demands
HEAVY – Exert up to 70 lbs. of force occasionally, and/or up to 50 lbs. of force frequently, and/or up to 20 lbs. of force constantly to move objects. Requires walking, standing, lifting and carrying heavy objects up to eight hours per day and multi-limb coordination to operate heavy equipment. Other physical requirements of the job include the ability to bend/crouch/or kneel, see, reach, climb, and balance.Working Conditions
Work is primarily done outdoors, exposure to all inclement weather (hot, cold, rain, etc.). There is a possibility of overtime weekly. This position is considered essential during a campus emergency. The incumbent in this position is expected to report to campus, provide the essential services designated and work under the overall direction of the Crisis Management Team for the duration of a campus emergency.Security SensitiveYes Special Instructions to ApplicantsQuick Link for Postinghttp://jobs.rice.edu/postings/21167 Job Duties Job Duty NameEssential FunctionsDescription of Job Duty
- Maintains landscape plants
- Mows, edges, trims, prunes, rakes, plants, waters, and weeds the turf, trees, shrubs, ground cover, and flowers on campus
- Performs hands on corrective procedures and preventative maintenance to trees and shrubs on campus to promote the health, safety and vigor of campus trees
- Cleans assigned areas after work is complete
- Picks up litter and empties trash cans
- Cleans streets, sidewalks, loading docks, and parking lots
- Fertilizes plants
- Keeps area drain grates clean
- Moves furniture and other items as assigned
- Performs all other duties assigned
- Cover Letter
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have two years of experience in grounds/landscaping/tree work and/or maintenance?
- * Do you possess (or have ability to obtain within 30 days of hire) and maintain a valid Texas driver's license?
- * Have you had four or more moving violations and/or at fault accidents in the past three years?
- * Do you have any convictions or deferred dispositions for Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) or Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the past five years?