Process Excellence Coach
Job location: Charlottesville, VA
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-17
The School of Medicine department of Project Management and Continuous Improvement at the University of Virginia seeks a Process Excellence Coach to join and strengthen an existing Process Excellence function. The Process Excellence Coach (Coach) role presents a unique opportunity to make an impact by facilitating innovative and sustainable cultural transformation to improve administrative processes and provide higher value to faculty and staff who advance School of Medicine’s research, education and clinical missions.
The Coach will work on creating and strengthening the problem solving and continuous improvement mindset at different levels in the organization. In addition to engaging, training, and coaching, they will facilitate the analysis of business problems and the execution of improvements in a manner that is meaningful and measurable. The Coach will facilitate events to set institutional goals, conduct value stream analysis and rapid process improvements, as well as create a lean daily management system to ensure results.
The Coach will primarily utilize Lean methodology. In addition to strong Lean specialized knowledge, the Coach will need to demonstrate strong soft skills to be able to read the environment as well as build trust and collaborative relationship with business partners across the organization. The Coach will also collaborate with subject matter experts within the School of Medicine, University Physicians Group, Medical Center, across UVA grounds, and with external entities as necessary.
If the prospect of becoming known for creating this cultural transformation in the School of Medicine motivates you, please see additional information below. If you want to become part of our team and believe you qualify for this role, we invite you to apply.
Specific job duties include:
- Facilitates the implementation of the organization's continuous improvement and Lean transformation system in alignment with SOM initiatives and objectives.
- Plans for and assesses the impact and sustainability of Lean improvement (e.g. waste reduction, ROI).
- Serves as a change facilitator, develops and collaborates with other Lean champions, and influences leadership in the transformation to, and support of, a culture of continuous improvement.
- Develops Lean training and coaching content, documents, materials, courses, and exercises for UVA SOM. Provides training and coaching to all levels of the organization.Conducts SOM Institutional Alignment events to set institutional goals.
- Conducts and coaches others to conduct value stream analysis, rapid process improvements, daily management events and other Lean activities. Utilizes and coaches others to utilize A3 problem solving methodologies to address identified opportunities.
- Supports the creation of documentation for standardized operating procedures and policies for a variety of business processes.
- Coaches others and facilitates the monitoring and analysis of existing and new processes for improvement opportunities in quality, delivery, and cost.
- Supports project management activities and/or works with project managers on project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring, and closeout.
Required Education and Experience:
- A Bachelor's degree in a related discipline and at least two years’ experience in a facilitator role applying Lean methods and tools to support performance improvement initiatives.
- The appropriate combination of an Associate’s degree and 6 years of relevant experience may be considered in lieu of a Bachelor’s degree.
- Lean and/or Lean Six Sigma
Preferred Education and Experience:
- A Master’s degree in Process Improvement/Engineering, Business Administration, Management, Industrial Engineering, and other relevant area.
- 5 years of experience as Lean or Lean Six Sigma Black Belt
- Strategic deployment of process improvement initiatives delivering training mentoring others and working on complex projects. Experience in leading change in an administrative setting, for example: Academic Medical Center.
This is a restricted position; continuation is dependent on funding and satisfactory performance.
Review of applications will begin on October 1, 2019, but the position will remain open until filled.
EXTERNAL APPLICANTS: please apply through Workday at the following URL, https://uva.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UVAJobs , and search for requisition # R0010403. Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
INTERNAL UVA APPLICANTS: please apply through your Workday Home page, search “Find Jobs”, and search for requisition # R0010403 Complete an application online and attach a cover letter, CV/resume, and contact information for three references (name, email address, telephone number, address).
For questions regarding the application process, please contact Michelle Williams, Faculty Search Advisor, at firstname.lastname@example.org.The University of Virginia, including the UVA Health System and the University Physician’s Group are fundamentally committed to the diversity of our faculty and staff. We believe diversity is excellence expressing itself through every person's perspectives and lived experiences. We are equal opportunity and affirmative action employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender identity, marital status, national or ethnic origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, veteran status, and family medical or genetic information.