Assistant Professor of Microbiology - Tenure Track
Department of Biological Sciences
School of Natural Sciences
St. Edward's University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences, beginning August 2020.
- Teaching Microbiology Lecture and Lab (majors).
- Teaching major's General Biology (lecture and lab).
- Development of elective courses in the candidate's area of expertise.
- Advising students.
- Development of a successful research program involving undergraduates and compatible with the resources available at a primarily undergraduate, liberal arts institution.
- Other required duties as outlined in the St. Edward's University Faculty Manual. https://stedwards.app.box.com/s/kd27bw79xchhtw0bkao87mm5ojzyeljj
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences required.
- A strong commitment to and demonstrated potential for excellence in undergraduate teaching and for engaging in research with undergraduates.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled, with full consideration given to those received by November 1, 2019. Applicants should submit application and all requested documentation online through http://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
A complete application packet (single pdf preferred) will include:
- Cover letter, addressing why the applicant is a good fit for the position, indicating a commitment to the university's mission (http://www.stedwards.edu/about/mission).Curriculum VitaTeaching Philosophy; please specifically indicate the ability to teach any of the following courses: Evolution, Ecology, Genomics, and new courses the applicant would be interested in developing. (https://stedwards.app.box.com/v/academicbulletins/file/468989011566) (1 pg maximum)Diversity and Inclusion statement that details the candidate's commitment to serving a diverse student body. (1 page maximum)A statement of Research Interests which details how the candidate will engage undergraduates in research. (1 pg maximum)Undergraduate and Graduate transcripts (unofficial at this stage)The names and contact information for three references (or names of references if applying discreetly).
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITYFounded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic, liberal arts institution of 3,700 undergraduate and 500 graduate students located in Austin, Texas. It is an exciting time to be part of the St. Edward's community as the university increases its global engagement to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st century world. SEU is a diverse community that appreciates faculty and students from all backgrounds. The Department of Biological Sciences offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in Biology and B.S. degrees in Bioinformatics and Medical Laboratory Science, and is part of the School of Natural Sciences. The School of Natural Sciences manages the Wild Basin Creative Research Center, a 227-acre preserve that is open to the public, and supports university teaching and research activities (https://www.stedwards.edu/academics/centers-institutes/wild-basin-creative-research-center). The school is also home to the Institute for Interdisciplinary Science, an NSF funded center that fosters cross sector partnerships, interdisciplinary collaborations, and training in informatics and emerging technologies (https://www.stedwards.edu/academics/centers-institutes/institute-interdisciplinary-science-i4). OTHER ITEMS TO KNOWBackground Checks: A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
-Sponsorship:We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
Reference #: J19085
Available: ImmediatelySt Edwards Universityhttps://stedwards.applicantpro.com