Assistant Professor of Microbiology - Tenure Track
Assistant Professor (Microbiology)
Assistant Professor of Microbiology - Tenure Track
St. Edward's University
Department of Biological Sciences
School of Natural Sciences
St. Edward's University invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Department of Biological Sciences, beginning August 2020.
- Teaching Microbiology Lecture and Lab (majors).
- Teaching major's General Biology (lecture and lab).
- Development of elective courses in the candidate's area of expertise.
- Advising students.
- Development of a successful research program involving undergraduates and compatible with the resources available at a primarily undergraduate, liberal arts institution.
- Other required duties as outlined in the St. Edward's University Faculty Manual. https://stedwards.app.box.com/s/kd27bw79xchhtw0bkao87mm5ojzyeljj
- Ph.D. in Biological Sciences required.
- A strong commitment to and demonstrated potential for excellence in undergraduate teaching and for engaging in research with undergraduates.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Successful completion of an employment and/or criminal history background check
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled, with full consideration given to those received by November 1, 2019. Applicants should submit application and all requested documentation online through http://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
A complete application packet (single pdf preferred) will include:
- Cover letter, addressing why the applicant is a good fit for the position, indicating a commitment to the university's mission (http://www.stedwards.edu/about/mission). Curriculum Vita Teaching Philosophy; please specifically indicate the ability to teach any of the following courses: Evolution, Ecology, Genomics, and new courses the applicant would be interested in developing. (https://stedwards.app.box.com/v/academicbulletins/file/468989011566) (1 pg maximum) Diversity and Inclusion statement that details the candidate's commitment to serving a diverse student body. (1 page maximum) A statement of Research Interests which details how the candidate will engage undergraduates in research. (1 pg maximum) Undergraduate and Graduate transcripts (unofficial at this stage) The names and contact information for three references (or names of references if applying discreetly).
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER:St. Edward's University, as an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, complies with all applicable federal and state laws regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. The University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. ABOUT ST. EDWARD'S UNIVERSITY Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic, liberal arts institution of 3,700 undergraduate and 500 graduate students located in Austin, Texas. It is an exciting time to be part of the St. Edward's community as the university increases its global engagement to educate students for the opportunities and challenges of a 21st century world. SEU is a diverse community that appreciates faculty and students from all backgrounds. The Department of Biological Sciences offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in Biology and B.S. degrees in Bioinformatics and Medical Laboratory Science, and is part of the School of Natural Sciences. The School of Natural Sciences manages the Wild Basin Creative Research Center, a 227-acre preserve that is open to the public, and supports university teaching and research activities (https://www.stedwards.edu/academics/centers-institutes/wild-basin-creative-research-center). The school is also home to the Institute for Interdisciplinary Science, an NSF funded center that fosters cross sector partnerships, interdisciplinary collaborations, and training in informatics and emerging technologies (https://www.stedwards.edu/academics/centers-institutes/institute-interdisciplinary-science-i4). OTHER ITEMS TO KNOW Background Checks: A criminal history background check is required for finalist(s) under consideration for this position.
-Sponsorship: We are not offering sponsorship at this time.
Reference #: J19085
About St. Edward's University
Founded in 1885 by the Congregation of Holy Cross, St. Edward's University is a private, Catholic liberal arts institution of more than 4,600 diverse students located in Austin, Texas. St. Edward's emphasizes critical thinking and ethical practices, as well as small classes, personalized learning and exciting internship opportunities. The community atmosphere extends to the approximately 800 faculty and staff who work together to make the university a welcoming yet challenging environment for students. An overview of St. Edward's University employee benefits is available at https://www.stedwards.edu/human-resources/benefits-summary
About Austin, Texas
Consistently ranked as one of the "top metropolitan areas to live in," by numerous independent media outlets, Austin attracts approximately 50 new residents a day and has been one of the nation's fasting growing cities. St. Edward's is in the heart of this thriving, entrepreneurial and cosmopolitan city, providing students, faculty and staff with opportunities to live, learn and grow in an environment that offers a wealth of resources and opportunities. In fact, Austin is home to 17 companies on the Inc. 5000 list and boasts 1.7 times the national average of startups. Additionally, as one of the world's great technology centers, Austin, sometimes referred to as "Silicon Hills," is home to technology heavyweights like Dell, National Instruments and Silicon Labs.
For more on the City of Austin's offerings, visit The Austin Convention & Visitors Bureau webpage.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should submit an online application at https://stedwards.applicantpro.com Please include resume, cover letter, and three employment references. No Calls Please.
St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies and hire only U.S. Citizens and documented workers. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency