Instructional Support Technician - Instructional Designer
Department:: Office of Academic Affairs
Locations:: Downstate, Capital or Western NYS Regions, NY
Posted:: Sep 13, 2019
Closes:: Open Until Filled
About Empire State College:
Empire State College was established in 1971 by Dr. Ernest Boyer as a distinctive statewide institution focused on innovative and nontraditional teaching and learning.
The college continues its 48-year commitment experimenting with new, flexible, and individualized modes of learning through such practices as mentoring students throughout their academic studies, creating individualized degree plans, valuing learning gained from life and work experience, building professional and social student support communities and creating flexible modes of delivery to meet students' diverse learning preferences. The college now boast over 87,000 proud and successful alumni and partners with nearly 17,000 students a year who want to expand their personal and professional horizons.
Empire State College is a part of the SUNY System and is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. With headquarters in Saratoga Springs, New York, ESC serves mostly working adults pursuing associate, bachelor's and master's degrees online and onsite at 35 locations across the state of New York and abroad.
State University of New York, Empire State College seeks an experienced Instructional Designer (ID) (State Title: Instructional Support Technician) to support the use of technology to enhance learning. This is a professional position providing instructional design consultation, support, and coordination of development and revisions college wide. The ID will provide high-level, focused academic instructional design consulting, guidance and support to developers using adult learning principles, active and authentic learning, social constructivist models, and collaborative learning. The selected incumbent will collaborate with content experts, educational technologists, librarians, graphics specialists, multimedia developers, and other instructional designers for the consistent delivery of exemplary courses. The ID will participate in the research and application of emerging technologies and emergent curricular models for online teaching and learning, and consult with the ID team on processes and best practices.
The incumbent will work closely with culturally diverse faculty, staff and students in a multicultural learning work environment.
- A Master's Degree in instructional design, or a related field
- A minimum of one year experience in instructional design
- Outstanding communication and writing skills
- Experience working in team-based environments
- Organizational skills and strong attention to detail
- Experience with Course/Learning Management Systems
- Knowledge of Quality Matters, OSCQR, or other course and accessibility standards
- Understanding of ADA compliance and accessibility issues
- Two or more years working directly with college faculty in the development of online courses.
- Expertise in a variety of media
- Experience implementing Web 2.0 applications into online environments
- Experience providing instructional design support in a large scale, high volume distributed environment
- Expertise and knowledge of best design practices for the development of online learning environments
- May involve occasional travel
- VISA sponsorship is not available for this position
- The location is open to our Downstate, Capital or Western New York State Regions; preference given to the Capital Region area
Rank/Salary: $50,000+ Depending on Qualifications
Empire State College is an EOE employer.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE ADA COORDINATOR AT (518) 587-2100, ext. 2240. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (518) 587-2100, ext. 2800. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE SAFETY AND SECURITY WEBSITE AT http://www.esc.edu/safety-security
Applications Due By: Applications accepted until position is filled.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit the following documents, which are required for consideration by clicking on the APPLY NOW button :
- Cover letter
- Name and contact information of three references
Returning Applicants - Please click here to login to your Empire State College Employment Account to check your completed application or to update your account.