Executive Assistant to the Executive Director
Job Title: Executive Assistant to the Executive Director
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Job ID: 25157
Job Code: 1038 Administrative Analyst/Specialist -12 Month
Department: Sports, Society& Social Change
CompensationClassification: Administrative Analyst/Specialist - Exempt I
Anticipated Salary Range: $4,600/month - $5,200/month
Salary Range: $3,897/month - $7,051/month
FLSA Status: Exempt
San José State University offers employees a comprehensive benefits package typically worth 30-35% of your base salary. For more information on programs available, please visit sjsu.edu/up.
About the PositionThe Executive Assistant to the Executive Director for Institute for the Study of Sport, Society and Social Change (ISSSSC) provides complex administrative, analytical, and operational support for the institute. The incumbent performs duties under general supervision and will act on behalf of the Executive Director to establish priorities and identify and resolve problems that are administrative in nature. The Executive Assistant is responsible for the unit's administration and operations; coordinating communications; budget management; program management and event planning. The Executive Assistant also serves as liaison between ISSSSC and other departments and organizations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for leading the administrative functions of a program or unit, to include monitoring and supervising day-to-day work of other administrative or support staff, student workers and/or interns, including scheduling, assigning, and prioritizing workloads, setting appropriate deadlines, and reviewing work for quality and timeliness.
- Research and/or write background information for meetings (e.g. compile weekly binder with schedule and backgrounders); analyze and review material and extract pertinent information for briefing purposes.
- Plan and schedule complex calendar(s) without prior consultation, resolve calendaring conflicts, and arrange travel in compliance with unit, university, and sponsor policies; create timely and complete itineraries for all travel
- Coordinate meetings, as necessary with scholars, administrators, students, faculty/staff and/or constituents and other institutions
- Compose and draft documents and correspondence for presentations, handouts, grants, conferences, seminars, and reports; perform fact checking. Create, maintain, modify, and/or ensure accuracy of content in various unit documents, displays, reports, brochures, social media, and/or websites
- Oversee management of monthly scholar newsletter
- Maintain daily oversight of the institute's budget: produce, monitor, and reconcile budget statements; research, identify, and resolve discrepancies
- Initiate projected budget of operating expenses and prepare monthly budget of all accounts
- Oversee and/or perform duties associated with scheduling, organizing, and operating complex programs, workshops, trainings, and events, including arranging with vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, handling logistics, and managing event within budget.
Required Qualifications- A Bachelor's Degree and/or equivalent training
- Two years of administrative work experience involving study, analysis, and/or evaluation leading to the development or improvement of administrative policies, procedures, practices, or programs
Preferred Qualifications- 6 years of administrative experience, or combination of education and relevant experience
- Experience with programming, event planning and project organization
- Experience in higher education environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities- Skilled in providing excellent customer service
- Knowledge of basic methods and procedures for research and statistical analysis and the ability to apply them.
- Ability to analyze data and make accurate projections using business mathematics and basic statistical techniques.
- Ability to interpret and apply fiscal policies and procedures, and conduct financial analysis.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues.
- Skill in the research, development, and evaluation of policies and programs
- Ability to make independent decisions and exercise sound judgment, as well as anticipate and address problems proactively
- Ability to produce clear analyses, written reports, and documentation for administrative use in decision making
- Knowledge and ability to effectively use Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PeopleSoft, and Google Suite
Application ProceduresComplete the SJSU Online Employment Application and attach the following documents:
-Letter of Interest
-List of References
All applicants must apply within the specified application period: September 12, 2019 through October 6, 2019. This position is open until filled; however, applications received after screening has begun will be considered at the discretion of the university.
Additional InformationSatisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. SJSU will issue a contingent offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was offered the position on a contingent basis.
The standard background check includes: criminal check, employment and education verification. Depending on the position, a motor vehicle and/or credit check may be required. All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate Background. Some positions may also require fingerprinting. SJSU will pay all costs associated with this procedure. Evidence of required degree(s) or certification(s) will be required at time of hire.
SJSU IS NOT A SPONSORING AGENCY FOR STAFF OR MANAGEMENT POSITIONS. (e.g. H1-B VISAS)
All San José State University employees are considered mandated reporters under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and are required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Equal Employment StatementSan José State University (SJSU) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of age, ancestry, citizenship status, color, creed, disability, ethnicity, gender, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion or lack thereof, sex, sexual orientation, transgender, or protected veteran status consistent with applicable federal and state laws. This policy applies to all SJSU students, faculty and staff programs and activities. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and certain other federal and state laws, prohibit discrimination on the basis of sex in all education programs and activities operated by the university (both on and off campus).
Reasonable accommodations will be provided for applicants with disabilities who self-disclose.
Contact InformationUniversity Personnel
Transformation 2030Engage and Educate: Be a university of first choice where we bring together exceptional people - students, faculty and staff members, and our community - to do extraordinary things with their lives as learners, creators and champions.
Excel and Lead: Be a leading academic institution where faculty and staff members and alumni are regional, national and global leaders in their fields.
Grow and Thrive: Be an inclusive, welcoming and well-balanced community and institution that ensures long-term financial sustainability and effectiveness and also attracts, retains and sustains faculty and staff members and students.
Connect and Contribute: Be an engaged and dynamic urban university with strong connections locally and globally.
Rebuild and Renew: Be a flourishing, modern campus with state-of-the-art infrastructure, campus spaces and technology to support learning, research and community.