Instructor-UC AMC Genetic Counselor
University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine
Instructor - Genetic Counselor
The University of ColoradoDenver l Anschutz Medical Campus seeks individuals with demonstrated commitmentto creating an inclusive learning and working environment. We value theability to engage effectively with students, faculty and staff of diversebackgrounds.
RoleDescription: Looking for Genetic Counselor candidates interested in a full-timefaculty position with benefits, to provide clinical cancer risk assessment/geneticcounseling in the Cancer Center and Hereditary Cancer Clinic. The position isoffered through the (Medicine) Division of Medical Oncology located at theUniversity of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus (AMC) in Aurora, Colorado. Theposition will not be involved in course instruction and is not eligible fortenure.
WorkingConditions: The clinic is a premier source of Cancer Genetics services forboth clinical service and research projects in our state and region. As part ofa team including 4 genetic counselors, oncologists and gastroenterologists. TheGenetic Counselor works in collaboration with a multidisciplinary health careteam. Role model professionalism through conduct, appearance, communication,mutual respect, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, andproblem-solving skills.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
· Effective counseling session structure; providing cancer riskassessments to patients; conducting in-person genetic counseling sessions;
· Counseling techniques sensitive toward individuals and families at riskof genetic disorders that promotes individual choice on various treatmentoptions;
· Pedigree creation usingProgeny software; and common Microsoft office computer applications includingdaily e-mail;
· Individual case management and collaboration with Multidisciplinaryhealth professionals to promote patient care; coordinating genetictesting and dissemination of results. Consultingwithin an oncology team as a Genetics Specialist for newly diagnosed patientsin the University of Colorado Cancer Center clinics;
· Working to assist patientsin obtaining appropriate medical management from their health care providers.
· Identify and respond to issues and problemseffectively and in a timely manner;
· Maintain confidentiality; listen and obtainclarification to ensure that instructions and requests are fully comprehended;
· Assist in educating individuals, families aboutinherited genetic disorders and the medical testing, scientific research,psychological resources and other options available;
· Translate complex language of genomic medicineinto understandable terms;
· Communicate effectively orally and in writingwith individuals, families and medical professionals;
· Attend a variety ofspecialty oncology tumor boards;
· Participates in the training and supervision of genetic counseling graduatestudents, and newly hired Genetic Counselors
· Enhance the HereditaryCancer Clinic through educational outreach to grow demand for patient servicesand to grow the clinic into a genetic resource for the state and region; and toprovide genetic expertise for Cancer Center researchers.
· Performs other dutiesas required and/or requested based on the needs of the patient, cancer clinicand the department.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary iscommensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers afull benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, includingeligibility, is located at Employee Services.
University ofColorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe andsecure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist inachieving that goal, we conduct background checks for all new employees priorto their employment.
The ImmigrationReform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility bedocumented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternativeformats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Yourtotal compensation goes beyond the number on your paycheck. The University ofColorado provides generous leave, health plans and retirement contributionsthat add to your bottom line.Benefits: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/benefits.
TotalCompensation Calculator: https://www.cu.edu/employee-services/total-compensation
Pleaseclick here for information on disability accommodations: http://www.ucdenver.edu/about/departments/HR/jobs/Pages/JobsatCUDenver.aspx
TheUniversity of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed torecruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrativestaff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect,communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnicminorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University ofColorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
Minimum Qualifications:• Graduate with a Master’s Degree in Genetic Counseling is required.• Board Eligible or Certified in Genetic Counseling• Must have completed at least one clinical rotation in a Hereditary Cancer Clinic, under the supervision of a Board Certified Cancer Genetic Counselor• A valid driver's license and automobile insurance is required.
Required Competencies:• Demonstrates ability to work both independently and cooperatively with a team reflecting positive behaviors toward patients, families, physicians, and all clinical and research staff. Responds to customers of all age groups in a friendly, prompt, and caring manner while maintaining confidentiality. Promotes mutualrespect and professionalism.• Strong critical thinking organizational, communication, writing, and interpersonal skills.• Seeking a solid self-starter and ability to troubleshoot issues on their own.• A must-have for patient care: excellent verbal communication telephone skills.
Desired Qualifications:• Preferred experience in cancer genetic counseling specialty.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Posting Date: Sep 13, 2019
Unposting Date: Ongoing