BFX Post Doctoral Associate
Job location: Coral Gables, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-12
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Center for Computational Science (CCS) has an exciting job opportunity for a BFX Post Doctoral Associate in Bioinformatics at the Coral Gables Campus.
CORE JOB SUMMARY
The Post Doctoral Associate (Bioinformatics) collaborates with Principal Investigators on sponsored projects, performing analysis, and inference over biology, genomic and clinical datasets. Promotes institutional recognition through literal contributions to the scientific community.
CORE JOB FUNCTIONS
- Conducts research on sponsored projects involving brain and cancer studies under PI supervision.
- Performs data analytics, build models, test algorithms, and validates results using various datasets, experimentally generated and publicly available.
- Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and theories from statistics, machine learning, networks, big data.
- Maintains substantial knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories applicable to biomedical data.
- Prepares research reports and technical papers for publishing.
- Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
This list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all-inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties or responsibilities as necessary.
A Ph.D. in molecular and/or computational biology and/or neuroscience or other related field is required. A strong computational bioscience component from data to model to knowledge must be present in the background.
Experience and/or familiarity with the analysis of experimental biology data (i.e., proteomics/genomics). Main analytical (data and model driven) and technical (software design and tool development) skills, which require expertise and mastering of standard packages such as R, Matlab and Python and machine learning tools is highly preferred. Enrollment or participation to cross-disciplinary programs in complex systems, data science, computational science and similar is desired. Any appropriate combination of relevant education/or work experience may be considered.
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
- Knowledge in solid programming skills using R, Python,etc., and/or knowledge contributing to tool development.
- Skills in collecting, mining, analyzing and interpreting data and ability to tackle a variety of data-driven problems.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions.
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:r5