#101725 Executive Director, UC Telehealth Initiative
The Executive Director for the University of California Telehealth Initiative will collaborate with faculty and administrators at all six human health sciences campuses to facilitate the prioritization of system-wide telehealth program development. The incumbent will provide strategic planning, analysis and recommendations regarding use case priorities based on clinical capacity, UC system/ California need, operational readiness, and the strategic priorities of the campuses.
Once use cases are approved by the executive steering committee, the incumbent will conduct operational planning of the different use cases and have full operational oversight and responsibility for their implementation. This is a highly matrixed position that includes establishing a vision, convening the appropriate teammates to address technical design and implementation, workflow design and implementation, create a training plan and identification/ resolution of relevant policies, procedures and regulations. The position will also be responsible for the subsequent monitoring and fine tuning of use cases so that their success is optimized. The first use case to be implemented is anticipated to be tele-psychiatry to support student health services.
The desired skill set is described in detail below. In general the Executive Director will facilitate program decisions, establish budgets, timelines and teams, and bring together the key stake holders to ultimately support innovative and timely models of healthcare delivery. The ideal candidate should have high level program and project management skills and strong experience with and understanding of connected health/telehealth operations. Experience within the University of California is strongly preferred given the complexity of the organization.
The 50-100% FTE position reports directly to the Physician Champion for UC Telemedicine located at UC San Diego, who is also the Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs at UC San Diego.
• Leadership and matrixed management of all of UC Telemedicine consortium activities cutting across multiple campuses. This position will be responsible for developing a vision and effectively communicating it within a highly matrixed, multi campus academic medical system.
• Establish, with the UC Telemedicine Consortium Executive Steering Committee, the overall timeline and interim milestones for the different UC Telehealth use cases. It is anticipated the first use case will be tele-psychiatry to support UC student health services. Apply critical thinking and analysis to recommend adjustments and mitigation strategies to keep projects on-time.
• Analyze current workflows regarding patient referral and use process mapping techniques to design and recommend revised workflow to implement use cases. Communicate new workflow effectively with stakeholders. Design the pilot/ phase 1 implementation plans.
• Train and support users during implementation, adapting style for various learners. Connect feedback from training sessions and users to the Project Team for ongoing refinement of the initiative.
• Serve as liaison to the UC system IS teams as needed for EHR implementation and support needs and to coordinate time line and testing.
• Utilize strong project management techniques to provide overall leadership for the use case implementation and future clinical programs across UCs.
• Establish effective partnerships with leadership, clinicians and staff at the participating UC campuses necessary to implement telehealth and connected health programs.
• Full operational responsibility for the implementation and oversight, including financial accountability, for the agreed upon use cases.
• With colleagues in financial services, perform business modeling to analyze financial implications. This includes Identifying, analyzing, recommending and facilitating third party reimbursement and contract arrangements.
• Evaluate new use cases and make recommendations for timing, resource requirements, impact, and ability to scale.
• Apply an understanding of the regulatory and policy environment related to Virtual Care and Telehealth and these types of models of care. Able to translate issues effectively to legal counsel, compliance office, health information management, business contracts, and professional billing group to effectively prepare operating procedures.
• Collaborate closely with Telehealth Medical Directors at the participating UC campuses to recommend evaluation metrics for project that examine the impact on access time to specialty services, patient/provider satisfaction, utilization of external providers/urgent care, etc. Develop the data collection methodology and the tracking system to evaluate effectiveness of use cases.
• Prepare all progress reports, presentations, or other documentation and ensure documents are submitted on time. Prepare presentation material and handouts as needed to communicate the status and goals of the UC Telehealth Initiative.
• Develop and monitor project budgets and recommend course correction as needed. Provide some financial analyses with respect to programmatic expenses and revenue.
• Recommend meeting schedule and collaborate with Telehealth Medical Directors on UC campuses to facilitate decision-making and to advance use cases.
A Bachelor's Degree in healthcare or related field.
Five (5+) or more years of relevant experience demonstrating strong understanding of telehealth or connected health project management.
Ability to convey the vision of the different components of the University of California Telehealth Programs to a wide variety of audiences (consumers, providers, administrators).
Thorough understanding of the healthcare landscape, the factors changing healthcare delivery, and an ability to incorporate those changes into the development of telehealth strategies.
Demonstrated experience in developing strategic direction and also parcel objectives into short-term tasks.
Proven strategic and tactical project management and leadership skills necessary to design, implement and monitor complex projects.
Strong critical thinking to evaluate use cases and how best practice examples translate to the University of California and to specific campuses.
Demonstrated ability to quickly ascertain group dynamics and organizational issues and respond appropriately and effectively.
Superb written and oral communication skills required to prepare and deliver reports, project plans, and presentations to Medical Directors, executives and campus leaders. Advanced competency with word processing, presentation software, spreadsheets, databases, analytical tools and internet.
Excellent presentation skills required to present to leadership, clinicians and staff regarding the goals, implementation, and status of the projects/programs.
Strong analytical skills to effectively understand healthcare programs; to manage administrative and fiscal information; and to comprehend such information to make timely and correct decisions.
Proven ability to independently and creatively problem-solve and insight to understand issues that require escalation to other members of the UC team.
Excellent organizational skills to determine workload priorities to enable timely completion of tasks. Ability to work effectively and independently under pressure with a minimum of direction.
Advanced Degree in healthcare or related field.
Eight (8+) or more years of progressive experience demonstrating strong understanding of telehealth or connected health project management as well as leadership capabilities.
Experience with and strong understanding of regulations and policies that relate to Connected Health and Telehealth.
Internal experience and understanding of the University of California Health Sciences.
Epic software experience.