Library Specialist - Public Services
Position DetailsPosition Information Position TypeCivil ServiceClassification TitleLibrary SpecialistPosition's Functional TitleLibrary Specialist - Public ServicesPosition Start Date10/01/2019Position End Date (if temporary)Position Summary
The Library Specialist works as a member of the University Library public services team, whose function is to facilitate access to the library’s resources and services. The primary responsibility of this position is to work as a team member of the public services unit to provide basic reference service to faculty, staff, students, and community members in online, chat, or face-to-face formats at scheduled and occasionally unscheduled times. Evenings and weekends are required.
The minimum starting hourly rate for this full-time vacancy is $13.23.Minimum Qualifications
1. High school graduation or equivalent. PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THIS DOCUMENT IN THE FIELD MARKED AS “OTHER.”
2. Any combination totaling 2 years (24 months) from the following categories:
A. work experience in a library or equivalent setting.
B. college course work in any field as measured by the following conversion table
◾30 semester hours equals six months
◾60 semester hours or an Associate’s degree equals one year
◾90 semester hours equals eighteen months
◾Bachelor Degree (120 semester hours) equals two years (24 months)
◾A Master’s or higher degree equals four years
(Note: Only a maximum of 4 years credit for college course work is available.)
**PLEASE ATTACH A COPY OF THE COLLEGE/UNIVERSITY TRANSCRIPT, WHICH INCLUDES THE EARNED DEGREE AND CONFERRED GRADUATION DATE.
1. Experience working in an academic library providing public service.
2. Experience in customer service.Posting Date09/06/2019Closing Date09/16/2019Open Until FilledNoPosting NumberCS0358PType of SearchExternalQuicklink for Postinghttp://employment.govst.edu/postings/4709Employee IDDepartmentSpecial Instructions to Applicants
All Civil Service positions at Governors State University require an exam. The exam type for this position is a Credentials Assessment. Applicants are not required to report in person for this exam. You will receive your examination score via email within 2 weeks after the closing date.
This position requires Illinois residency within 180 days of the hire date.
In order to be considered for this position, applicants are required to provide electronic documentation that verifies that the following minimum qualifications of this Civil Service position have been met:
• online Civil Service application, including dates of employment, applicable full-time and part-time employment (percentage), and specific duties and responsibilities)
• cover letter
• high school diploma or equivalent. Please attach a copy in the field marked “Other.”
• list of three professional references
**Please note the following:
• Due to the high volume of applications received, only the high school diploma or equivalent and college/university transcripts submitted/attached electronically to this posting will be used for the review and the consideration of this vacancy.
• If you are a Veteran, you may be eligible to receive Veteran’s Preference Points on a passing examination score, by submitting proof of eligibility to the Department of Human Resources, such as a copy of your DD214/DD215 form (Department of Defense), NGB22 form (National Guard), or Discharge Orders or DD256 Discharge Certificate (Reserves) by the closing date.Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Are you able/available to work nights?
- * Are you available to work weekends?
- * How many years of experience do you have in this type of position?
- * Please describe any previous experience you have working in a customer service environment.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Are you proficient in Microsoft Office applications?
- * Do you have experience working in a library?
- * Do you have experience working in an academic library?
- Cover Letter
- List of References
- Veteran’s Preference Points Documentation