Human Resources Assistant
Job location: Miami, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-11
If you are a current Staff, Faculty or Temporary employee at the University of Miami, please click here to log in to Workday to use the internal application process. To learn how to apply for a faculty or staff position using the Career worklet, please review this tip sheet.Where Excellence Meets PurposeThe University of Miami is among the top research universities and academic medical centers in the nation, and one of the largest private employers in South Florida.With more than 16,000 faculty and staff, the University strives for excellence, and is driven by a powerful purpose to transform and impact the lives of its students, patients, members of the community, and people across the globe.The University is committed to fostering a culture of belonging, where everyone feels valued and has the opportunity to add value. Through values of Diversity, Integrity, Responsibility, Excellence, Compassion, Creativity, and Teamwork (DIRECCT) the U community works together to create an environment driven by purpose, excellence, community, and service.The University has been named on Forbes's Best Employers list for two consecutive years, and is the only university in Florida to receive this honor.
The Human Resources Assistant provides daily support needed to ensure a successful Human Resources function within the University of Miami Hospital (UHealth Tower); this position is responsible for the overall customer service of the front desk function, perform clerical duties to support HR team and Volunteer Services function; in addition to managing operations of the HR office.
Core Job Functions
1. Answers inquiries concerning HR services, activities, and operations of the department by referring to and interpreting policy and procedures.
2. Reviews and addresses employee requests and questions via phone, email and in person. Directs questions, complaints, and other employees’ concerns to the appropriate HR person.
3. Screens phone calls, routes and/or forwards calls to the appropriate staff member. Listens, responds to calls and/or voicemails on a frequent basis.
4. Assists employees with password resets.
5. Assists with reviewing paperwork, completed forms and documents submitted to HR and VS (competency assessment, performance appraisal, name change, and vacation cash out forms) ensuring completeness and required documents are attached. Compiles all HR\VS forms and ensures completion of forms by employees.
6. Provides assistance to employees during annual Benefits enrollment.
7. Assists with employee events by coordinating logistics and reserving appropriate space.
8. Schedules HR meetings by reserving conference room.
9. Makes photocopies, faxes documents and performs other clerical functions.
10. Drafts/answers routine correspondence and submits for appropriate signatures.
11. Prepares check requests and processes invoices pertaining to department.
12. Enters updated clinical staff licenses and certificates into appropriate system on a weekly basis.
13. Orders department supplies (as needed) and maintains appropriate stock for department use.
14. Troubleshoots and reports malfunction of office equipment to suppliers/vendors, as needed.
15. Sorts, distributes and picks up HR /VS mail from the mailroom.
16. Maintains UMH departments’ telephone directory, and leadership team contact list. Keep directories up-to-date.
17. Maintains confidentiality of information at all times.
18. Advises applicants about volunteer application process.
19. Keeps volunteer log updated.
20. Assists with new Volunteer background checks.
21. Provides assistance in filing papers and documents into appropriate Volunteer files.
22. Assists with the processing of volunteer applications in the absence of Volunteer Services Coordinator.
23. Adheres to University and unit-level policies and procedures and safeguards University assets.
High School Diploma or equivalent
Minimum 1 year of relevant experience
Knowledge, Skills and Attitudes:
• Ability to accurately prepare and maintain records, files, reports and correspondence
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
• Ability to understand and follow instructions
• Skill in completing assignments accurately and with attention to detail
• Ability to analyze, organize and prioritize work under pressure while meeting deadlines
• Ability to process and handle confidential information with discretion
• Ability to work independently and/or in a collaborative environment
• Proficiency in computer software (i.e. Microsoft Office)
The University of Miami is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Females/Minorities/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. Applicants and employees are protected from discrimination based on certain categories protected by Federal law. Click here for additional information.Job Status:Full timeEmployee Type:StaffPay Grade:c102