Economics - Clerk IV - Department Personnel Coordinator
Economics - Clerk IV - Department Personnel Coordinator
Job no: 502724
Work type: Staff Full Time
Location: UMass Amherst
Categories: Administrative/Office Support
About UMass Amherst
UMass Amherst, the Commonwealth's flagship campus, is a nationally ranked public research university offering a full range of undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees. The University sits on nearly 1,450-acres in the scenic Pioneer Valley of Western Massachusetts, and offers a rich cultural environment in a bucolic setting close to major urban centers. In addition, the University is part of the Five Colleges (including Amherst College, Hampshire College, Mount Holyoke College, and Smith College), which adds to the intellectual energy of the region.
The Department Personnel Coordinator ensures smooth and efficient personnel administration, and assists with event coordination for the Department of Economics.
- Coordinate and support the administrative and organizational aspects of faculty and staff searches.
- Post position(s) advertisements in the appropriate professional journals and websites.
- Set up user accounts for search committee members and update records as required.
- Assist with arranging job candidate visits, including travel, hotel reservations and interview scheduling.
- Ensure correct and timely preparation, processing and management of all departmental personnel actions and records, including appointment and reappointment forms for full and part-time faculty, teaching assistants, student employees, and visiting faculty.
- Coordinate with the Chair, Personnel Committee Chair, and Director of Administration and Research to prepare faculty tenure and mini-tenure cases, PMYR cases, annual faculty reports, sabbatical leave requests, unpaid leaves and course buyouts in an organized and timely manner.
- Maintain personnel files and keep up-to-date on personnel related policies and procedures.
- Provide department faculty and staff current and updated information on personnel policies and procedures.
- Serve as Department time and attendance coordinator for faculty, staff and student employees.
- Prepare submission reports for Department Chair approval.
- Provide assistance with event coordination, including ordering food and reserving space.
- Manage department Google calendar (reserve rooms for non-class events requested by faculty, staff and graduate students).
- Assist with the coordination of student employee duties.
- Serves in a back-up role for other department staff as needed. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor with flexibility.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- A minimum of 3 years full-time, or equivalent part-time, office administration experience
- Acute attention to detail
- Ability to understand and apply University personnel practices, policies and procedures
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with laws and regulations and to apply these appropriately
- Ability to communicate effectively, including strong writing and editing skills
- Extensive organizational and problem solving skills
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions
- Excellent computer usage skills including email, spreadsheets, word processing, and databases
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision
- Ability to interact effectively with people from diverse backgrounds
- Ability to initiate and implement self-directed assignments
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with students, faculty, and staff from diverse backgrounds
- Flexibility to work in a large and complex department with a high degree of assertiveness and initiative and willingness to take on a variety of tasks related to the successful operation and administration of the department
- Ability to make sound and mature decisions and to carry out assignments in and organized and timely manner, balancing the demands of concurrent and potentially competing projects
- Ability to follow office practices and procedures and policies
Preferred Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Education, Experience, Certifications, Licensure)
- Experience working in a higher education environment preferred.
- Associate's Degree (in business administration or closely related field of study) is preferred.
- Experience with UMass personnel systems preferred.
Physical Demands/Working Conditions
This position is in a large, busy, and complex department. The work is often demanding, requiring flexibility and teamwork to accomplish goals.
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (37.5 hours per week)
Special Instructions to Applicants
To apply for the position, please submit your application along with a cover letter, resume and contact information for three references.
UMass Amherst is committed to a policy of equal opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability, military status, or genetic information in employment, admission to and participation in academic programs, activities, and services, and the selection of vendors who provide services or products to the University. To fulfill that policy, UMass Amherst is further committed to a program of affirmative action to eliminate or mitigate artificial barriers and to increase opportunities for the recruitment and advancement of qualified minorities, women, persons with disabilities, and covered veterans. It is the policy of the UMass Amherst to comply with the applicable federal and state statutes, rules, and regulations concerning equal opportunity and affirmative action.
Advertised: Sep 12 2019 Eastern Daylight Time
Applications close: Sep 18 2019 Eastern Daylight Time