Administrative Support Associate
Posting InformationPosition Information Position TypePermanent Staff (SHRA)Is this an internal only recruitment?NoPosition TitleAdmin Support Associate - AdvancedWorking TitleAdministrative Support AssociatePosition Number00017052Vacancy IDP010783Budgeted Hiring Range$37,025 - $40,944Pay Band Information
To learn more about the pay band for this branch and role, please see the Career Banding rates spreadsheet.Salary Grade EquivalentGN06Full-time/Part-time Permanent/Time-LimitedFull-Time PermanentIf time-limited, estimated duration of appointmentHours per week40Work Schedule
8:00-5:00, Monday- FridayDepartment Name and NumberUniversity Library-550501Date First Posted09/12/2019Closing Date09/18/2019Position LocationChapel Hill, NCPosition Posting CategoryAdministrative/Clerical Support Position Summary Information Department Description
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the country’s oldest state university. UNC-Chapel Hill has an enrollment of approximately 29,000 students, employs more than 3,500 members of the faculty, and offers 69 doctoral degrees as well as professional degrees in medicine, social work, information science, and law.
The University Libraries, one of the largest research libraries in the south, is an essential part of the University’s educational and research efforts. It includes 9 libraries on campus, including the Health Sciences Library, Walter Royal Davis Library, Louis Round Wilson Special Collections Library, and the R.B. House Undergraduate Library. The University Libraries hold 8.2 million volumes and extensive collections of manuscripts, audio visual, microforms, graphics, government documents and rare books. The Libraries is a member of the Association of Research Libraries, the Council on Library and Information Resources, and the Center for Research Libraries. Together with the libraries at Duke University, North Carolina Central University, and North Carolina State University, the members of the Triangle Research Libraries Network (TRLN) provide services and collections to their students, faculty, and staff in support of the education, research, healing, and service missions of the universities.
The University Libraries are committed to increasing the diversity of its staff, and therefore welcomes applications from candidates who bring additional dimensions to our mission and work. The University Libraries invest proudly in our employees, strive to create a diverse environment of respect and collaboration, and encourage vision and innovation.
The University Library Administration sets direction, determines policy, and oversees operations of the libraries at UNC-Chapel Hill. The University Library Administration Leadership team consists of the Vice Provost for University Libraries and University Librarian, Executive Assistant to the Vice Provost and University Librarian; Director of Strategic Initiatives and Special Projects, Associate University Librarian for Special Collections & Director, Wilson Library, Assistant University Librarian for Financial Planning and Administrative Services, Associate University Librarian for Collections Strategy and Services, Associate University Librarian for the Health Sciences & Director, Health Sciences Library, Director of Library Communications, Director of Library Human Resources, and the Associate University Librarian for Digital Strategies and Information Technology.Equal Opportunity Employer
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, race, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.Position Description
The Administrative Support Associate (ASA) supports the work of the Library Leadership Team (LLT), the senior administrators of the University Libraries, with a special emphasis on support for the Associate University Librarian (AUL) for Collections Strategy and Services and the Director of Library Human Resources. The LLT is leading transformational change within the Libraries and requires administrative support to continue this work.
Duties are primarily to provide general administrative support for the team. Needs include managing complex and multiple calendars, independent authoring of correspondence and reports, compiling data and statistics relating to collections and staffing, budgeting, coordinating travel, and making reservations. Activities and events supported include vendor visits, interviews, and retirements. Serves as back up to the Libraries Executive Assistant in supporting the University Librarian and managing the Libraries’ travel budget.Minimum Education and Experience Requirements
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.Essential Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
• Ability to take initiative and work with team members in a flexible, dynamic, rapidly evolving environment
• Ability to manage multiple activities and resources
• Strong oral and written communication skills including the ability to write for a variety of audiences
• Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to work with those from a broad range of educational, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds
• Analytical and research skills, including the ability to work with data
• Expertise with online tools such as calendaring, candidate management, spreadsheets, word processing, or file sharing software
• Detail oriented and well organized
• High standard of confidentiality and discretion
• Ability to work in typical office setting during regular work hours
• Associate or Bachelor’s degree
• Experience with human resources or other confidential and complex information
• Experience managing complex and multiple calendars
If you experience any problems accessing the system or have questions about the application process, please contact the Office of Human Resources at (919) 843-2300 or send an email to [email protected]
Please note: The Office of Human Resources will not be able to provide specific updates regarding position or application status.Applicant DocumentsRequired Documents
- Curriculum Vitae / Resume
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please select the response below that best describes your experience/education for the Administrative Support Associate position.
- High school diploma/GED
- Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctorate in any field
- Did not complete high school but have a combination of high school education and office support experience to equal 4 years (ex. 1 year of high school and 3 years experience)
- None of the above
- * Please explain why you are interested in this position and what makes you a good candidate.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please briefly describe your use of online tools such as calendaring, spreadsheets, or file sharing software.
(Open Ended Question)