Located in a historic neighborhood in the nation's capital, Georgetown offers rigorous academic programs, a global perspective, exciting ways to take advantage of Washington, D.C., and a commitment to social justice. Our community is a tight knit group of remarkable individuals interested in intellectual inquiry and making a difference in the world.
The Systems Librarian coordinates the management of the Library's Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE Integrated Library System, supporting the integration of the ILS with other platforms used within the Library. S/he leads the design, implementation, and maintenance of additional tools and platforms for user discovery and management of Library resources. Working both independently and as part of a team, the Systems Librarian develops, implements, and assesses Library tools and services by focusing on usability, accessibility, sustainability, and performance. The Systems Librarian also provides expertise and works collaboratively with staff across the Library to automate workflows and optimize the discovery experience for patrons. Reporting to the Head of Library Information Technology, the Systems Librarian's core duties include:
Manages the Library's Integrated Library System
- Serves as the administrator and main technical lead for the Library's Ex Libris Alma/Primo VE Integrated Library System (ILS).
- Tests new functionality and system upgrades, and evaluates current utilization of system modules and workflows to recommend modifications to workflows and system configurations as needed to increase efficiency.
- Troubleshoots problems with the ILS and acts as a liaison between the vendor and Library staff members to report problems and ensure their resolution.
- Coordinates with Library, University, and WRLC departments to manage incoming data feeds including but not limited to: acquisitions and other data; complex bibliographic, holdings and item data; patron data.
- Acts as the Library's representative to various local and national user groups.
- Consults with end users with regard to system capabilities and functionality, forwarding requests for system modifications and/or enhancements to the vendor as appropriate.
- Leads the development of policies and procedures as needed to ensure the efficient operation and management of Library systems.
- Gathers and reports statistics and data from Library systems to inform decision-making related to Library services.
Develops, Enhances, and Coordinates Library Discovery Services
- Leads the design, implementation, and maintenance of new tools and services for user discovery and management of Library resources.
- Leads the development of strategies to improve the discovery of Library collections and services by designing, developing, and implementing solutions that integrate existing tools with new technologies and approaches to create a seamless discovery experience for users.
- Develops and implements strategies and solutions to improve user experience and maximize the discovery of Library resources by conducting usability testing and user-centered design research.
- Provides training and creates documentation for internal and external users related to the Integrated Library System and other Library discovery systems.
Supports Library Systems and Platforms
- Supports both hosted and locally-managed systems in support of Library collections, workflows, and services.
- Develops and documents internal processes and procedures that support Library systems and services.
- Assists in the development of new Library systems and services through an iterative and data-driven process that emphasizes sustainability and end-user functionality.
- Develops scripts or programs that enable automation of routine Library workflows and tasks and develops enhancements to new and existing Library applications.
Professional Development & Library-wide Initiatives
- Serves on departmental, Library, and/or University-wide committees and task forces; participates in local consortia and regional and national associations.
- Contributes to the profession through writing for publication, presentation, and/or active involvement in professional associations at the local, regional, or national level.
- Continually acquires new knowledge and updates skills to enhance professional performance in all areas of responsibility.
- Keeps abreast of developments, trends, and issues in areas of responsibility.
- Monitors trends and maintains currency in emerging issues within areas of expertise.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- An ALA-accredited Master's degree in Library or Information Science or equivalent
- Three to five years of library experience, preferably in an academic library
- Demonstrated experience managing an integrated library system, a content management system, or other discovery system
- Experience managing technical projects or initiatives
- Experience developing and/or supporting systems and strategies for automated library workflows
- Firm understanding of current metadata and cataloging standards and processes
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate technical issues and solutions to a diverse set of stakeholders
- Experience managing an Ex Libris Alma/Primo integrated library system
- Familiarity with user-centered design to support usability testing of Library systems and services
- Familiarity with XML and XSLT
- Familiarity with library technology standards and protocols such as FRBR, Z39.50, OAI/PHM, RDA
- Familiarity with EZproxy as well as remote access and authentication workflows
- Experience with scripting or programming to automate tasks
Current Georgetown Employees:
If you currently work at Georgetown University, please exit this website and login to GMS (gms.georgetown.edu) using your Net ID and password. Then select the Career worklet on your GMS Home dashboard to view Jobs at Georgetown.
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any position at Georgetown University you must submit a cover letter and resume for each position of interest for which you believe you are qualified. These documents are not kept on file for future positions.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, please click here for more information, or contact the Office of Institutional Diversity, Equity, and Affirmative Action (IDEAA) at 202-687-4798 or [email protected].
Need some assistance with the application process? Please call 202-687-2500. For more information about the suite of benefits, professional development and community involvement opportunities that make up Georgetown's commitment to its employees, please visit the Georgetown Works website.
Georgetown University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer fully dedicated to achieving a diverse faculty and staff. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, and sexual orientation), disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Georgetown University offers a wide variety of comprehensive and competitive benefits. Benefits packages include comprehensive health, dental and vision plans, disability and life insurance coverage, retirement savings programs, tuition assistance, voluntary insurance options (including group legal, accident, and critical illness), and much more. Whatever your need, the Office of Faculty and Staff Benefits will be standing by to support you. You can learn more about the benefits offered to eligible faculty and staff at https://benefits.georgetown.edu or view the online interactive benefits guide for more information.
To apply, visit https://georgetown.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/Georgetown_Admin_Careers/job/Main-Campus/Systems-Librarian_JR07590
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency