Posting DetailsPosting Details Posting NumberS03928PWorking TitleADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANTDepartmentFranklin College Physics & Astronomy DeptAbout the University of Georgia
The University of Georgia (UGA), a land-grant and sea-grant university with statewide commitments and responsibilities is the state’s oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified institution of higher education (http://www.uga.edu/). UGA is currently ranked among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report. The University’s main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65 miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta, Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA was founded in 1785 by the Georgia General Assembly as the first state-chartered University in the country. UGA employs approximately 1,800 full-time instructional faculty and more than 7,600 full-time staff. The University’s enrollment exceeds 36,000 students including over 27,500 undergraduates and over 8,500 graduate and professional students. Academic programs reside in 17 schools and colleges, as well as a medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA Health Sciences Campus in Athens.About the College/Unit/DepartmentCollege/Unit/Department websitePosting TypeExternalRetirement PlanTRSEmployment TypeEmployeeBenefits EligibilityBenefits EligibleFull/Part timeFull TimeWork ScheduleAdditional Schedule Information
40 hours a weekAdvertised SalaryCommensurate with ExperiencePosting Date09/11/2019Open until filledYesClosing DateProposed Starting Date10/21/2019Special Instructions to ApplicantsLocation of VacancyAthens Area EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or protected veteran status.Position Information Classification TitleOffice/Clerical AssistantPay GradeFLSAJob FamilyAdministrativeFTE1.0Minimum Qualifications
Requires are least a high school diploma or equivalent. Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of education/experience in lieu of the required minimum qualifications.Preferred QualificationsPosition Summary
This position will serve as the initial point of contact for the Physics and Astronomy Department focusing on strong customer service. The Physics and Astronomy department has a collaborative work environment where staff are expected to demonstrate flexibility with scheduling to ensure complete coverage of the office and to aid others to meet departmental needs. Responsibilities include working on communication distribution and aiding the faculty and staff with general administrative work. The staff member will use verbal and written communication and should portray a level of professionalism online, in writing, and verbally. The person who fills this position will use discretion with confidential information.Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
• Coordinate and manage multiple competing projects in an organized, efficient manner by prioritizing tasks to meet deadlines;
• Interpersonal and teamwork skills to work with diverse groups in an academic environment;
• Written and verbal communication skills;
• Proof reading and editing skills;
• Software experience in:
o MS Office Suite
o Various USG systems
Sit at a computer for hours at a time. Conduct deliveries across campus. See objects closely, as in reading. Lift up to 25 lbs.Is driving a responsibility of this position?Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial resources?NoDoes this position require a P-Card? NoIs having a P-Card an essential function of this position? NoDoes this position have direct interaction or care of children under the age of 18 or direct patient care?NoDoes this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT security, personnel records, patient records, or access to chemicals and medications)NoCredit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with financial responsibilities. For additional information about the credit check criteria, visit the UGA Credit Background Check website.Duties/Responsibilities Duties/Responsibilities
Office Receptionist, 25%
• Serves as the main point of contact for the department when someone calls, emails, or visits the unit.
• Answers phone with multiple lines and greets faculty, students, and visitors giving general information in response to inquiries; delivers oral and written messages. Responds to questions as they relate to school policies and procedures and ensures necessary follow-up
• Processes mail, makes copies, faxes documents, assist faculty and graduate students with office machines and maintain departmental bulletin boards
• Provide assistance to the business manager, finance staff and the academic administrators
• Prepare and edit correspondence, memoranda, and administrative reports
• Keeps stock of office and department supplies. Places orders.
• Tracks and maintains Department Head’s schedule
Departmental Communications Coordination, 25%
• Maintain accurate and current information on the Physics and Astronomy Department website.
• With input from the department head and faculty, generate and edit content and coordinate all logistics in creation of all communication means including:
• Other external correspondence
Alumni Relations, 20%
• Serves as primary departmental contact for alumni relation duties
• Work with Franklin College Development office to coordinate thank you letters from students and develop relationships with alumni
• Give scholarship awards to BM assistant to process awards and check requests.
• Develop and update departmental database for active alumni.
• Perform other duties that would enhance the department’s reputation with alumni.
• Interface with the department head, business manager, and the Franklin College Alumni & Development Office.
• Work with university systems such as GAIL.
Event Management, 20%
• Coordinate faculty meetings; utilize a private space to administer faculty vote ballots.
• Arrange and plan for other meetings (i.e., venue, meeting rooms, catering, meals, lodging, etc). Finalize schedule for visitors to meet with faculty members, graduate and undergraduate students, and administrators.
• Coordinate the event for undergraduate awards day and graduate student awards day. Assist the graduate coordinator with the graduate ceremony.
• Assist graduate coordinator with event logistics for graduate student events, such as the welcome reception.
• Organize activities and events for the Physics and Astronomy department including processing event approval documentation, managing registrations or RSVPs, coordinating with vendors to book venues and catering, creating and distributing events information via appropriate venues, and working with senior accountant on travel arrangements.
General Departmental Support, 10%
• As a member of the staff in the department, this position supports the faculty. This position either provides the requested customer service or refers it to the appropriate staff member to respond. In cases where a service is requested that falls outside of the normal duties, this position will either provide the service or consult with the business manager as to possible alternative resources
• Coordinate and provide leadership on special projects assigned by the department head and business manager.
• Perform tasks and assignments as instructed by the departmental leadership
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter