Tenure-Track Appointment in Kinesiology
The Department of Kinesiology at Cornell College invites applicants for a full-time, tenure-track appointment in Kinesiology. This appointment will begin in the fall of 2020. The successful candidate is expected to 1) teach Kinesiology courses with specialization in health and physical education pedagogy, including methods for teaching elementary and secondary physical education, adaptive physical education, health education, sport methodologies (team, dual, and individual), motor learning, and coaching 2) actively engage in professional development relevant to the individual's interests and expertise 3) provide academic and career advising for students 4) coordinate practicum and student teaching placements 5) support departmental curricular development. Preferred qualifications for the position include a Ph.D. in Kinesiology or related field with a specialization in health and physical education. Candidates with experience teaching K-12 Health and Physical Education are encouraged to apply.
The successful candidate will possess a strong background of current and diverse scholarly work in the field which may include familiarity with the scholarship and the study of under-represented groups in physical education, inclusivity in the health and physical education classroom, and/or health disparities in health education.
Other preferred qualifications include:
- Evidence of or potential for successful undergraduate teaching across a health and physical education teacher preparation curriculum
- K-12 health and physical education teaching experience with state-issued teaching credential/certification (current or expired)
- Evidence of experience or ability at conducting field observation, internships, and supervision of student teachers in health and physical education
- Demonstrate ability to create and maintain relationships with K-12 school settings and other kinesiology and exercise science related community groups and organizations
- Demonstrate affiliation and participation with state, national, and/or international professional organizations in Kinesiology (e.g., SHAPE America, IAHPERD, NAKHE, AKA, ACSM, etc)
Cornell College, a deeply student-focused selective liberal arts college, is distinguished by its One Course At A Time curriculum, a philosophy which allows students more opportunities for off-campus study, full-time internships, and research blocks. Academic immersion and unparalleled flexibility, thanks to the One Course Calendar, attract an ambitious student body from nearly all 50 US states and territories and many foreign countries. External endorsements include selection as one of the Colleges That Change Lives, a U.S. News Top 100 liberal arts college, and a Fiske Guide to Colleges Best Buy. Founded in 1853, Cornell's picturesque hilltop campus contains a mix of historic and modern facilities, ranging from the majestic King Chapel to the newly constructed Russell Science Center. It is located in Mount Vernon, Iowa, an urban fringe community recognized by Frommer's as one of "America's Coolest Small Towns" and located in the heart of the ICR Iowa region.
Cornell College is committed to fostering a faculty and staff community that reflects its diverse student body. We encourage applications from candidates who share our vision for a campus that embraces differing backgrounds, viewpoints, and identities. We believe in the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion that serve to enrich and strengthen our campus community.
Interested applicants should submit the following application materials to https://cornellcollege.applicantpro.com/jobs/1190357.html.
- Letter of application / cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Teaching statement, describing teaching interests, experience, and philosophy, including examples of individual commitment to diversity in the classroom / campus community
- Names and contact information for three references
- Graduate transcripts (Official transcripts are needed prior to employment)
Applications will be reviewed starting October 15, 2019, and continue until the position is filled.
For more information about the Department of Kinesiology, please visit https://www.cornellcollege.edu/kinesiology/. Direct questions to Kristi Meyer, Chair, Department of Kinesiology.
Cornell is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from underrepresented groups. Cornell complies with Iowa's smoke free air act. Cornell utilizes E-Verify and requires satisfactory completion of a background check.
For more information, or to apply now, you must go to the website below. Please DO NOT email your resume to us as we only accept applications through our website.