Vice Dean of Finance and Administration
Job location: School Eng & Applied Sciece - 107 Towne
Employment Type: Full-time
Posted data: 2019-09-10
University OverviewThe University of Pennsylvania, the largest private employer in Philadelphia, is a world-renowned leader in education, research, and innovation. This historic, Ivy League school consistently ranks among the top 10 universities in the annual U.S. News & World Report survey. Penn has 12 highly-regarded schools that provide opportunities for undergraduate, graduate and continuing education, all influenced by Penn’s distinctive interdisciplinary approach to scholarship and learning.Penn offers a unique working environment within the city of Philadelphia. The University is situated on a beautiful urban campus, with easy access to a range of educational, cultural, and recreational activities. With its historical significance and landmarks, lively cultural offerings, and wide variety of atmospheres, Philadelphia is the perfect place to call home for work and play.The University offers a competitive benefits package that includes excellent healthcare and tuition benefits for employees and their families, generous retirement benefits, a wide variety of professional development opportunities, supportive work and family benefits, a wealth of health and wellness programs and resources, and much more.Posted Job TitleVice Dean of Finance and AdministrationJob Profile TitleVice Dean of AdministrationJob Description SummaryAs a principal member of the School of Engineering and Applied Science (SEAS) leadership team, the Vice Dean of Finance and Administration serves as the key advisor in all areas involving SEAS financial, operational and administrative issues. Reporting directly to the dean, he/she will have oversight of the day to day financial and operational areas that support the School’s educational and research programs. The incumbent will represent the Dean and serve as spokesperson for the school to the University’s senior operational and financial leadership. As the chief administrative officer, this position will provide staff organization and support as required.Job Description
This position reports directly to the dean, serves as the Chief Financial Officer and Chief Operating Officer and oversees all functions of Finance and Administration, including Operations, Computing, Human Resources, Budgeting and the Business Office. He/she will play a lead role in the alignment of SEAS initiatives with the University including but not limited to the offices of Facilities, Budget, Human Resources, Finance, and the Office of the Provost. He/she will collaborate with senior leadership of other schools on campus on institution-wide initiatives and facilitate communication to a wide and varied constituent base. The incumbent will have a major impact on addressing, shaping and adapting to evolving funding mechanisms as well as creating and sustaining an enhanced operations, human resources and organizational effectiveness, research administration, facilities management and technology support.
The successful Vice Dean will lead, collaborate and contribute to the school’s institutional goals. They will build consensus, be innovative and strategic while maintaining compliance and order to the operations of the school. An MBA combined with 10+ years of progressive responsible administrative experience working in an academic environment with strong emphasis on education, research and organizational design is required; solid record of successful accomplishments in long range planning for administration in the support of academic programs and research efforts and a strong knowledge of financial management in a RCM environment is also strongly preferred. He/she will also have proven leadership skills combined with tact and diplomacy, outstanding interpersonal and communications skills, strong conceptual and problem-solving skills, a self-starter with drive, persistence, discretion, integrity and a high-energy level are required.
* Serve as the School’s Chief Administrative Officer with oversight responsibilities that include administration, operations, human resources, finance, budgeting, computing and Business Office.
* Oversee School-wide budget (FY budget $220M and endowment of $440M) with operations, budget planning, capital planning and managerial oversight responsibility for maintaining and insuring the financial position of the School.
* Serve as a member of the Dean’s senior administration and represent SEAS to other external agencies and committees as needed.
* Support Dean’s initiatives to increase revenue and work with deans and senior administrators to create new revenue streams while minimizing expenses.
* Oversee plans and execution of facilities development, space rehabilitation and new construction.
* Lead, manage and contribute to the professional development of a senior team of administrative staff including Budget Director, IT Director, Operations Director, Space Planning Director and the Director of Human Resources.
* Perform additional duties as assigned.Job Location - City, StatePhiladelphia, PennsylvaniaDepartment / SchoolSchool of Engineering and Applied SciencePay RangeAffirmative Action Statement
Penn adheres to a policy that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, creed, national or ethnic origin, citizenship status, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected class.Special Requirements
Background check required after a conditional job offer is made. Consideration of the background check will be tailored to the requirements of the job.