Assistant Professor of Education,Early Childhood Education
Position DetailsPosition Information Position TypeFaculty, Tenure TrackClassification TitleAssistant ProfessorPosition's Functional TitleAssistant Professor of Education,Early Childhood EducationPosition Start Date01/01/2020Position End Date (if temporary)Position Summary
This position is for a tenure-track Assistant Professor in the Division of Education. The successful candidate will teach undergraduate/graduate courses in early childhood and related fields. We seek candidates with outstanding teaching skills, ability to advise non-traditional or diverse student populations, and ability to collaborate in a positive manner with a diverse group of faculty and staff.
Governors State University is the only regional, public, comprehensive university in Chicago’s south suburban area, serving approximately 7,750 students annually. GSU provides accessible, high value undergraduate and graduate education to culturally and economically diverse students. With the lowest undergraduate tuition in Illinois, GSU offers accredited programs that have earned high praise from national accrediting agencies. Founded in 1969, GSU is undergoing major transition this year as we are now are a residential institution, accepting first-year students, transfer and graduate students. The university has an ambitious five-year Academic Master Plan, greatly expanding current programs. GSU is implementing a state-of-the-art General Education program and working to greatly expand student academic and support services to foster student and community engagement. New faculty at GSU must demonstrate enthusiasm and ability to work with students at all levels, from first-year to graduate.
Through its strategic plan, Vision 2020, GSU emphasizes excellence, access, and innovation. Students benefit from the university’s high academic quality, range of convenient class times, increasing hybrid and online offerings, and outstanding educational value. Our innovative freshman program promotes writing across the curriculum and other strategies that make our undergraduate coursework come alive: ethics, citizenship, innovative thinking. Every freshman class is taught by a full-time faculty member to ensure that students have a strong foundation for their studies. GSU is a national leader in successful transfer of community college students to universities, and is leading through the Kresge-supported Dual Degree Program, with features such as tuition lock-in at GSU for academically eligible community college students who commit to earn an Associate Degree and attend college full-time. GSU offers a wide variety of master’s programs and several applied doctoral degrees in health, counseling fields, and Interdisciplinary Leadership.
The exceptionally beautiful campus is conveniently located within easy reach by road and rail to Chicago and surrounding communities that have a wealth of cultural and natural attractions. The highly diverse region GSU serves has a number of high performing schools and engaged communities in urban, suburban, and rural settings, in addition to some struggling communities. GSU serves as a public square, working to foster educational opportunities for all populations.
1. Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Early Childhood Education or related field. ABD in the final stages of completion will be considered.
2. Knowledge and ability to teach undergraduate and graduate courses
3. An ability to make intellectual contributions through scholarly publications/presentations consistent with the maintenance of AQ (“Academically Qualified”) faculty status under accreditation standards.Preferred Qualifications
1. Teaching and/or professional experience in multiple areas of Early Childhood Education.
2. Interest in and ability to develop and teach online (web-based) courses.Posting Date09/06/2019Closing DateOpen Until FilledNoPosting NumberFA0293PType of SearchExternalQuicklink for Postinghttp://employment.govst.edu/postings/4723Employee IDDepartmentSpecial Instructions to ApplicantsSupplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Experience teaching in online/hybrid delivery?
- * Briefly list your area(s) of research or teaching expertise.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Will you have a Doctorate Degree in hand by the date of appointment or an advanced ABD by the date of the appointment?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is the highest level of education attained?
- High School Diploma
- Associates Degree
- Bachelors Degree
- Masters Degree
- Doctorate Degree
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Certification/Professional License
- Letter of Recommendation
- List of References
- Research Documents
- Writing/Media Samples
- Teaching Philosophy