Assistant/Associate Professor in School Librarianship
Position Announcement: School Library Specialist
The School of Teaching and Learning faculty is a vibrant group of diverse, high-quality scholars and educators who are committed to innovative pedagogies and developing leadership in education. The faculty is committed to continuing its leadership at the state, national, and international levels while increasing the diversity of the campus community. Illinois State University recognizes that a diverse faculty, staff, and student body enriches the educational experiences of the entire campus and greater community. Thus, we especially welcome candidates who have experience working with a diverse range of faculty, staff, and students, and who can contribute to the climate of inclusivity to apply.
The School of Teaching and Learning at Illinois State University is pleased to announce one vacancy for a nine-month, tenure-track position in School Librarianship. The appointment will commence on August 16, 2020.
The primary assignment will be teaching graduate level courses in our school librarianship certificate program and both undergraduate and graduate courses related to the candidate’s content expertise. Responsibilities of this position also include producing high quality scholarship and contributing to professional service at all levels (e.g., school, college, university, state and national).
The University Community:
Illinois State University is a doctoral-granting institution with an enrollment of approximately 21,000 students. Illinois State University is Illinois’ first public university, founded in 1857 to educate the state’s teachers. The University is located in Normal/Bloomington, a community of over 165,000, located within two to three hours of: Chicago, IL; St. Louis, MO; Davenport, IA; and Indianapolis, IN. For more information, visit https://hr.illinoisstate.edu/prospective/.
The School has approximately 40 full-time tenure-track faculty in teacher education programs at the undergraduate, masters, and doctoral levels who work collaboratively with colleagues in four other Colleges on campus, public schools, and communities. The University has been developing teachers both within the state of Illinois as well as outside the state for over 150 years. School website: https://education.illinoisstate.edu/about/departments/tch/
- Doctorate or ABD in a relevant field with a completion date prior to faculty appointment on August 16, 2020
- Experience as a PK-12 school librarian
- Minimum of 3 years working with PK through 12th grade students
- Record of educational research in the field and potential for scholarly production
- State law mandates demonstrable oral proficiency in the English language as a requirement for this position
- This position is security sensitive, and employment is contingent upon passing a satisfactory criminal background investigation
- Experience with on-line teaching
- Content expertise in one or more of the following areas: Educational Technology, Literacy, Bilingual/ESL, STEM education, elementary education, middle level education, or secondary education
- Established record of scholarship
- Experience working in collaborative partnerships with PK-12 school professionals
- Experience in providing professional development to PK-12 teachers
Salary: Salary is competitive and will depend upon qualifications and experience.
Initial review of applications will begin October 11, 2019, and continue until the position is filled. To assure full consideration, please complete an online faculty application in which you will have to submit a cover letter, a list of three references (specifically, names, addresses, telephone numbers, and email addresses), and a curriculum vitae to posting number 0712495 at www.Jobs.IllinoisState.edu by October 10, 2019.
Please direct any questions regarding this position to:
Mrs. Francess Harris
Assistant to Director, School of Teaching & Learning
Email: [email protected]
Illinois State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran.