Macalester College seeks to hire a Network Administrator to support the planning, configuring, installing, and maintaining the college’s data network communications. This includes managing WAN, LAN, security, and wireless systems as well as mentor junior networking staff. They will participate in efforts to develop strategies for on-premise and cloud systems connectivity, as well as manage disaster recovery and business continuity planning. On a daily basis this position will troubleshoot, install, and configure networking components, as well as manage projects.ResponsibilitiesCampus and Data Center Networking:
- Manage data center networking, including core routing, core switching, load balancer, and fiber optic connectivity.
- Administer campus networking, including wireless controllers, wireless access points, and access switches.
- Support campus fiber optic network, planning for redundancy and capacity.
- Participate in the Infrastructure on-call notification system.
Network Applications, Security, and Services:
- Administer network applications including IPAM, DHCP, DNS, VoIP and IPTV.
- Manage network monitoring and reporting tools to measure performance and service availability.
- Support network security systems for authentication, encryption and firewall policies.
- Support cloud computing technologies, including implementation and migration of on-premise services to cloud/hosted environments.
- Assist in developing and maintaining an ongoing plan for integrating cloud services to meet campus needs.
- Supervise campus internet connections, including managing ISP relationships, WAN connectivity, and site-to-site connections.
- Assist in disaster recovery planning and connectivity, this includes connectivity to remote and cloud data centers.
- Maintain regular backups for network configuration and server backups.
- Provide backup support in the absence of other team members.
- Work with outside vendors and contractors on network related projects.
- Actively engages in learning and practicing principles of social justice and inclusion to increase individual capacity to support institutional changes that create and sustain a more welcoming and inclusive environment across the Macalester Community.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Networking or equivalent Networking Certification (CCNA, Ect) and experience.
- Five years experience with data networks, network-related systems administration, or other relevant IT experience required. Cisco or Palo Alto Networks preferred.
- At least 2 years of Windows, or Linux/Unix experience required.
- Cloud experience: AWS, Azure, or similar desired.
- Scripting Experience: PowerShell, Bash, Perl, Python, or other desired.
- on call Required, participates in Network Infrastructure on-call System
- Demonstrates the commitment to equity, inclusion, and diversity.
For best consideration, please submit your cover letter and resume as one PDF through the Macalester Employment Opportunities webpage by October 1, 2019.
Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities, women and LGBTQIA+ individuals. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Since its founding in 1874, Macalester has provided students with the inspiration, insight, and experience to become successful and ethical leaders. Located in St. Paul, Minnesota, Macalester enrolls nearly 2,100 students who come from virtually every state and 91 countries. Macalester is committed to being a preeminent liberal arts college known for its high standards of scholarship and its special emphases on internationalism, multiculturalism, and service to society.
Macalester is proud of its longstanding commitment to social justice and creating a safe environment for all people regardless of sexual orientation, race, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship status, gender, religion, age, or ability. Macalester is dedicated to the goal of building a culturally diverse and pluralistic staff committed to working in a multicultural environment and strongly encourages applications from everyone who would add richness to our community, including people of color, individuals with disabilities and women.
Macalester employees enjoy a fantastic benefits package and working environment that is second to none. Please visit http://www.macalester.edu/employmentservices/benefits/ for more information about benefits at Macalester College.