Acquisitions Assistant (Program Assistant) - University Press (120529)
Acquisitions Assistant (Program Assistant)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
PRIMARY POSITION FUNCTION/SUMMARY:
The University System Office seeks an Acquisitions Assistant. The Acquisitions Assistant works closely with the Press’s acquisitions staff in supporting the development and acquisition of a robust list of general interest and scholarly titles in a range of humanities and social science disciplines. Provides skilled administrative support in managing the cultivation of prospective authors, the development and evaluation of manuscripts, and project management entailed in guiding new book projects through all aspects of the publication process. The successful candidate will be adept at assisting with tracking, prioritizing, and processing multiple time-sensitive projects, working independently, and communicating clearly and diplomatically with authors and colleagues. The acquisitions assistant takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the Press’s efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist editors with evaluating and processing submissions, coordinating and tracking peer review, estimating costs and revenues, and preparing and distributing project descriptions and packets for committee discussions.
- Work with authors to finalize their submissions. Assess permissions, captions, and formatting of electronic text files. Work with production staff in obtaining cost estimates and art assessments. Prepare manuscripts for transmittal to production.
- Prepare project descriptions and other materials for committee discussions. Research book projects, series, and sources of outside funding. Prepare queries and preliminary grant applications.
- Participate in hiring and training of student workers and interns, and in professional development initiatives, as appropriate.
- As directed by the Editor-in-Chief, acquire books in designated subject areas.
- Attend scholarly meetings and conferences on behalf of the Press.
- Other duties and responsibilities appropriate for an Assistant Acquisitions Editor.
- Bachelor’s degree in humanities, social science, or a related discipline.
- Graduate degree in related field.
- Related experience in book publishing or related enterprises (magazine publishing, library, bookstore, newspaper, yearbook, public relations).
Successful Candidates will also have:
- Commitment to pursuing a career in academic publishing.
- Evidence of superior academic achievement in fields that correlate to the major lists at the University of Illinois Press and/or in fields relevant to diversity and equity.
- Sharp proofreading skills and the ability to write clearly for a variety of audiences.
- Strong interpersonal communication, organizational, networking, and follow-through skills.
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize, and work under pressure on multiple projects.
- Proficient word processing, database, internet, and Microsoft computer application experience.
- The ability to work collegially and professionally with authors, scholars, and members of the U of I Press staff.
- 8. Some travel required.
- Proficient in appropriate word processing and database programs.
- Creative problem solver and open to challenges.
- Familiarity with manuscript development and preparation.
- Familiarity with all stages of the publishing process.
- Knowledge of copyright and contracts as they relate to book publishing.
- Some Travel Required
SALARY AND APPOINTMENT INFORMATION
This is a full-time Civil Service Program Assistant position appointed on a 12 month service basis. The expected start date is as soon as possible after September 30, 2019. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Applications must be received by September 30, 2019. Apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. If you have not applied before, you must create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu. If you already have a profile, you will be redirected to that existing profile via email notification. To complete the application process:
Step 1) Submit the Staff Vacancy Application. Step 2) Submit the Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability forms. Step 3) Upload your cover letter, resume (months and years of employment must be included), academic credentials (unofficial transcripts or diploma may be acceptable) and names/contact information for three references.
In order to be considered as a transfer candidate, you must apply for this position using the “Apply for Position” button below. Applications not submitted through this website will not be considered. For further information about this specific position, contact Angela Foster at [email protected]. For questions about the application process, please contact 217-333-2137.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO.College Name or Administrative Unit:System Office Category:3-Administrative Support Title:Acquisitions Assistant (Program Assistant) - University Press (120529) Open Date:09/10/2019 Close Date:09/30/2019 Organization Name:University Press