Academic Advisor, Gies Business Online Programs (121123)
Gies College of Business Online Programs
University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign
Primary Position Function:
Provide an exceptional student experience by serving student needs related to course scheduling, course registration, academic advising, new student orientation, and other student services for both degree and non-degree students. Additionally play an integral role in helping students both recognize and achieve their educational goals.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide academic advising to a high volume of both degree and non-degree students in reviewing of academic performance, progress towards completion of degree requirements, course selection/registration, as well as program, Graduate College and University policies and procedures.
- Advise and assist students with academic, probationary, and financial concerns on possible courses of action and direct students to appropriate campus resources when applicable.
- Foster student retention and appropriately track data. Maintain records of student contacts. Oversee degree certification process as required by the Graduate College.
- Work with other members of the online programs team to help with other cross-functional activities as needed.
- Work with faculty and program administrators to remain up to date on program and curriculum changes, and to develop new initiatives based upon student feedback and program assessments to improve the services and experiences offered by the program.
- Develop and revise informational materials, resources, handbooks, and other content.
- Work some evening and weekend hours to meet the online advising and event needs of the student population in the program.
- Provide advising and assistance to prospective students with regards to program degree requirements, degree planning and course selection.
Position Requirements and Qualifications:
Required: Bachelor’s degree
Preferred: Master’s degree in business or student services
Required:At least two years of professional experience.
Preferred: Two years of experience providing student academic support in a higher education setting. Experience working with a diverse student population. Experience with a variety of social media platforms. Experience administering and assessing programs.
Required: Exceptional and demonstrable customer service skills. Excellent organizational and communication skills (interpersonal,written, and verbal). Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities. Proven success in managing across multiple stakeholders. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Must demonstrate a service oriented attitude and enthusiasm for working with faculty and students. Strong working knowledge of computer related databases and office-related software. Familiarity and comfortable using video based web conferencing technology.
Preferred: Knowledge of University of Illinois and Academic Advising computer applications, including Banner and Student Records Systems. Understanding student development issues as they relate to advising and the student experience.
Appointment Status: This is a full-time (100%) academic professional position apointmed on a 12-month basis. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications. The proposed starting date is as soon as possible after the closing date.
To Apply: For full consideration, please create your candidate profile at https://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references by the closing date of October 16, 2019. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. For further information regarding our application procedure, email [email protected]/
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.College Name or Administrative Unit:Business Category:5-Education and Student Services Title:Academic Advisor, Gies Business Online Programs (121123) Open Date:09/10/2019 Close Date:10/16/2019 Organization Name:Business Online Programs