Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs
Posting DetailsPosition Information Job TitleProvost & Vice President for Academic AffairsPosting Number356-2011Job Description Summary
This position provides leadership for academic programs, academic staff and faculty. The Provost oversees the academic integrity of the College and provides leadership in long-range academic planning and budgeting; curriculum; and program development. The Provost ensures compliance with relevant accreditation agencies as well as University System of Georgia Board of Regents policies. This position reports directly to the President and is a member of the Executive Cabinet. Dalton State College is an undergraduate institution in the University System of Georgia with approximately 5,000 students, offering both baccalaureate and two-year degree programs. The College is nestled in the picturesque foothills of Northwest Georgia with easy access to the metropolitan areas of Chattanooga, Nashville, and Atlanta. An emerging Hispanic Serving Institution, Dalton State is developing as a leader in undergraduate education with winning athletic teams and student housing as well as strong academic programs.Essential Duties
Serves as the Chief Academic Officer for all academic areas and academic functions of the College (45%)
• Manages and oversees faculty, academic programs and academic support offices, degree/certificate programs, and library activities as well the Gilmer Campus.
• Develops and recommends academic affairs policies, plans, and procedures.
• Manages student outcome assessment, program review, and program accreditation processes.
• Supports institutional SACSCOC accreditation activities.
• Oversees and guides the development and implementation of annual goals and outcomes for academic units; evaluates progress toward goals.
• Coordinates with Schools and academic departments to manage class schedules, class enrollments and course loads of teaching faculty with fiscal responsibility.
• Encourages and supports the professional development, service and scholarly activities of the faculty.
• Collaborates with Student Affairs to integrate academic and co-curricular offerings within a cohesive educational program.
• Develops and maintains working relationships with all areas of the College.
• Provides leadership and support to the deans to meet and exceed enrollment targets, retention rates, and graduation rates and to ensure mission-driven academic objectives are achieved.
Directs student success and retention activities (25%)
• Supports enrollment management initiatives and innovations in programs and methods of delivery.
• Coordinates out-of-classroom learning, learning environments, distance learning, and support services for students.
• Coordinates student success and retention activities for a diverse student population.
Performs budget management duties (10%)
• Provides leadership and direction for the development and recommendation of a budget for the Office of Academic Affairs.
• Manages budget within defined management standards.
Communicates and coordinates activities with the Staff for the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (10%)
• Attends USG meetings.
• Responds to Board of Regents initiatives and requests for information.
Performs a variety of related duties (10%)
• Cooperates and collaborates with the Executive Cabinet to achieve institutional goals.
• Represents the College as needed within the institution and the community.
• Engages in the shared governance of the College, especially through the Faculty Senate and related committees.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES AND/OR COMPETENCIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of national, state, and local issues related to post-secondary education.
• Knowledge of University System of Georgia Board of Regents policies, procedures, practices, requirements, and reporting structures.
• Knowledge of SACSCOC accreditation policies, procedures, practices, requirements, and reporting structures.
• Knowledge of related federal policies, procedures, regulations, and laws.
• Knowledge of program curriculum review and development, program assessment, and student learning outcomes and assessment.
• Knowledge of budget development and management principles.
• Knowledge of faculty development and promotion policies and procedures.
• Skill in the delegation of responsibility and authority.
• Skill in collaborating with multiple constituents.
• Skill in the operation of computers and job-related software programs.
• Skill in decision making and problem solving.
• Skill in interpersonal relations and in dealing with the public.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• An earned doctorate from a regionally accredited institution in a relevant course of study required.
• Qualifications appropriate for a tenured appointment in an academic department of the College required.
• Seven or more years of progressive leadership experience in higher education.
• Broad experience with accreditation (SACSCOC, AACSB, NCATE, CSWE, etc.)
• Good written and oral communication skills
• Experience at a public baccalaureate degree granting college with an access mission, particularly an Hispanic Serving Institution
• The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, walking, or stooping. The employee occasionally lifts light objects.
• The work is typically performed in an office.
• Some travel is required.
All undergraduate and graduate transcripts are required. Unofficial transcripts will suffice for the review of the application, however upon an employment offer all official transcripts are required.Application DeadlineScreening will begin October 14 and will continue until the position is filled. The anticipated start date is January 1, 2020.Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have an earned Doctorate from a regionally accredited college or university in a discipline applicable to Dalton State College?
- * Do you have a distinguished record of teaching, scholarship, service and student engagement that would qualify you to be appointed to the rank of Professor in one of the College's existing schools?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe your progressive leadership experience in higher education.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter
- Reference List