Note: This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and responsibilities required or assigned to an employee in this position.
This position is responsible for providing administrative support while assisting in the day to day administration of the benefit programs that include all benefit plans such as the health, pharmacy, dental, vision, life insurance, ACA, COBRA, information systems, new hire benefits orientation, and benefits enrollment including open enrollment.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage leave administration such as FMLA, STD, and other types of leave (sending out forms, entering data into the system(s), communicating with employees and vendors). Ensure all transactions are processed within compliance parameters (HIPPA, Federal and State regulations).
- Effectively and accurately interpret FMLA, Workers Compensations and other regulations as they relate to leaves of absences.
- Serve as the primary contact for benefits-related questions and troubleshoot employee issues, respond accurately to benefit inquiries on plan provisions, enrollment, status changes, and other general inquiries in a timely manner. Resolve issues, communicate accordingly and provide regular updates to the Manager of Benefits Services.
- Serve as primary administrator responsible for the Workers Compensation program to include maintaining and posting accurate panel of physicians on the bulletin boards across campus, initial counseling with employees, completing injury reports, and/or other documents required, reporting and corresponding with insurance providers, active participation in meetings with providers, preparing annual notices, and maintaining related files.
- Administer and/or coordinate the quarterly random drug screenings program.
- Provide support to the Manager of Benefits Services with benefit projects and cross-functional HR initiatives as needed, including implementation and maintenance of benefits administration system(s), wellness initiatives, annual open enrollment, and benefits compliance matters.
- General administrative support to the Manager of Benefits Services to include scanning/copying, making revisions to documents/policies, completing monthly invoices, and filing.
- Ensure the accuracy of all benefits enrollment in the HRIS to ensure accurate eligibility/enrollment information. Assist in performing quarterly quality checks of benefit-related data.
- Proactively promote benefits understanding by communicating information on the various initiatives such as MotivateMe, lunch and learns, benefit apps and client portals.
- Assist in providing administrative and/or clerical support to Director and Associate Director, as requested.
- Send out various notices to the community such as: VitaMin Newsletters, In Sympathy, retirement-related announcements, etc.
- Ensures the accuracy of benefit transactions, information, and compliance with applicable laws.
- Administer the Touch Net payment process (e.g. sending notifications, assisting employees with utilizing the system). Notify vendor(s) of all terminations for COBRA administration
- Maintain and update benefit documents to include forms, checklists, new hire packets, new hire orientation presentation, enrollment materials, and HR portal.
- Develop and maintain professional and courteous relationships with carrier/vendor partners. Maintain open communication with Payroll to ensure PAFs are submitted timely.
- Stay current on all regulations related to benefits, ACA and other compliance matters.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree preferred with a minimum of 3 years of progressive experience in benefits administration or equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience is required. Must have a thorough knowledge of applicable state and federal benefits laws and regulations. Requires demonstration of a thorough understanding of benefits terminology, claims resolution, and compliance requirements. Knowledge and previous experience in administering worker’s compensation and FMLA programs is a plus. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required. Must be able to prioritize and meet strict deadlines. Strong analytical skills required. Must be proficient and process and detailed oriented. Must possess excellent organizational skills; able to prioritize tasks in order to handle multiple projects or assignments to meet deadlines/deliverables; and provide timely follow-up. Highly detailed driven with an emphasis on confidentiality, time sensitivity, accuracy, coupled with the ability to see the broader picture. Excellent skills in both mathematical and comparative analysis are required. Knowledge of compensation guidelines, market pricing, and job description design and job evaluation techniques is a plus. Must demonstrate civility, excellent customer service skills, ability to handle confidential matters, and respond to employees with diplomacy and tact.
Advanced Excel spreadsheet skills required to include the ability to apply functions such as VLook-ups, pivot tables, and mathematical formulas; and proficiency in the use of Access/Crystal Reports, PowerPoint, Word, and Publisher is required. Use of Banner/Ellucian systems, and creating SQL reports is a plus.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
PHR or Benefits Certification a plus
Qualified individuals are encouraged to visit our website and apply via our online application: www.spelman.edu. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package and a campus environment filled with unique opportunities and experiences.
Spelman College is an EOE/Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Title IX Employer and we participate in E-Verify.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE