World Languages Adjunct
World Languages AdjunctDepartment:
Liberal Arts--EnglishPosting Number:
Alexandria, VA: 22311Full or Part Time:
Commensurate with Education and experienceBasic Function:
The World Languages Department in the Languages, Arts and Social Sciences division at the Alexandria Campus is inviting qualified part-time faculty to teach Japanese, Spanish, Russian, French, or Chinese language courses for potential openings in the daytime, evening, and/ or online for the upcoming academic year and beyond.
If you are interested in a position when one becomes available, please submit your application.Duties and Responsibilities:
Adjunct faculty are employed to teach up to 12 credit hours in the fall and spring semester and/or up to 8 credit hours during summer session. Teaching load is based upon student enrollment and staffing needs. Instruction may be during the day, evening, weekend or online.Minimum Qualifications:
•A Master’s Degree with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in the language of instruction
•Experience using current, student-centered teaching methods, and integrating technology appropriately into language learning
•Experience in teaching traditional, hybrid and/or online classes
• A track record of effective community college or K-12 teaching experience is preferred.
• Hybrid teaching experience preferred.
• Experience with both on-campus and online teaching is preferred.
• Experience teaching in a diverse college setting
• Experience with Canvas, or another learning management system
• Commitment to communicate in the target language 90% or more of the time during instruction.
• Adept knowledge of instructional technologies
• Excellent interpersonal and native or near-native oral and written English skills
• Excellent interpersonal and native or near-native oral and written skills in the language of instruction
• Ability to work with a diverse student population
• Diligence in submitting required grades, attendance records and other college forms in a timely fashion.
09/09/2019Open Until Filled:
YesBackground Check Statement:
The selected candidate’s offer is contingent upon the successful completion of an extensive criminal background investigation, which may include: fingerprint checks, local agency checks, employment verification, verification of education, credit checks (relevant to employment), and other checks requested by the VCCS and NOVA such as I-9 and E-Verify requirements. Additionally, selected candidates may be required to complete the Commonwealth’s Statement of Economic Interest.