Police Patrol Officer
Police Patrol OfficerTracking Code651-674 Job Description
The principal function of the Police Patrol Officer is proactive patrolling of the campus to ensure the safety, security, well-being, and retention of University students, staff, guests and property. This mission’s goals will be achieved by community policing, emergency response and preparedness. This work is performed under the supervision and direction of the Chief of Police and Asst. Chief of Police of the Valparaiso University Police Department.
The principal duties are performed in a field and general campus environment, and in a variety of emergency and non-emergency situations which may involve exposure to potential personal danger. Officers will support the mission of the Valparaiso University and Valparaiso University Police Department.
Key Responsibilities and Essential Duties
- Perform all officer duties, including case investigations and proactive patrol for the Valparaiso University by vehicle, foot, ATV and bicycle. Detect criminal activity, traffic violations, and enforce federal, state, and university traffic rules, and regulations.
- Respond to emergency calls of service, which include fire, medical, suspicious persons, assaults, alarms, break-ins, thefts, alcohol, and drug activities. Perform investigations, interviews of victims, witnesses, and offenders.
- Respond to non-emergency calls of service such as reports of criminal activity not in progress. (Example: bike thefts, lost property reports and etc.) Perform investigations, interviews of victims, witnesses, and offenders. Assisting students and staff with problems.
- Active member of the VU Police Emergency Response and Incident Management Teams
- Provide supervisory leadership to the 911/Dispatchers and Safety Officers.
- Patrol Officer must be committed to supporting the Chiefs’ and police department’s mission of ensuring the safety and security of the entire campus community through Proactive Community Policing, Fair and Impartial Policing, and All Hazard Emergency Response, and Preparedness.
Days and times may vary.
Successful applicants will demonstrate a commitment to cultural diversity and the ability to work with individuals or groups from diverse backgrounds.
Employment at Valparaiso University will require a criminal background check.
To be considered for this position you must upload:
- Cover letter
- List of 3 professional references
- Answer all the application questions
Please address cover letter to:
Chief Becky Walkowiak, Chief
Valparaiso, IN 46383
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all customers (others).
- Have good communications and listening skills
- Able to follow directions and directives from command staff
- Computers Skills
- Shift work
Minimum Education: High School Graduate
Preference Criteria: Law Enforcement Experience and ILEA or NILEA Law Enforcement Certification or other state certification that is a transferable equivalent
Minimum Experience: Public Safety Experience
Required Certification(s): Law Enforcement Academy or capable of meeting ILEA/NILEA entrance standardsJob Location Valparaiso, Indiana, United StatesPosition TypeFull-Time/Regular